Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/19 22:02:15 UTC

[VOTE] Merge dev lists

[Suggestion is to please reply to the general@jakarta list only]

This is a vote to consolidate the development lists at Jakarta into
one development and one notifications list. For background including
timing, anticipated benefits and some discussion, see proposal [1]
thread.

[ ] +1
[ ] -1

While not required, it'd be nice if anyone voting against could
briefly state the reason(s). And you're ofcourse welcome to vote +/-0
if you really want.

Vote will run atleast 72 hours and will close no sooner than Thursday 5 pm EST.

TIA.
-Rahul

[1] (long, possibly fragmented URL below)
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-general/200910.mbox/%3cce1f2ea80910091443t5cad1db0na0663c416cb83a72@mail.gmail.com%3e

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Hanson Char <ha...@gmail.com>.
-1

Too much noise to signal ratio - not everyone is interested in every Jakarta
projects.  Notification list consolidation seems fine, but probably not dev.

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
On Oct 19, 2009, at 4:02 PM, Rahul Akolkar wrote:

> [Suggestion is to please reply to the general@jakarta list only]
>
> This is a vote to consolidate the development lists at Jakarta into
> one development and one notifications list. For background including
> timing, anticipated benefits and some discussion, see proposal [1]
> thread.
>
> [X] +1
> [ ] -1
>
> While not required, it'd be nice if anyone voting against could
> briefly state the reason(s). And you're ofcourse welcome to vote +/-0
> if you really want.
>
> Vote will run atleast 72 hours and will close no sooner than
> Thursday 5 pm EST.

Regexp list has no traffic, and I don't have any objections if it were
folded into general.

Vadim

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
What?! How can a vote like that be counted as passing? I missed most
of it as I'm only subscribed to bsf-dev and private@ but I didn't vote
as after seeing two -1s I assumed that was the end of it. I'll add a
belated -1 now though. Could BSF opt out and keep our own dev list?

   ...ant

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Hanson Char <ha...@gmail.com>.
-1

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> This is a vote to consolidate the development lists at Jakarta into
> one development and one notifications list. For background including
> timing, anticipated benefits and some discussion, see proposal [1]
> thread.

+1
Subject to encouraging a Commons style prefixing system for emails, eg
[jmeter] or [oro].

Stephen

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by "Mark F. Murphy" <ma...@tyrell.com>.
At 4:02 PM -0400 10/19/09, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
>[Suggestion is to please reply to the general@jakarta list only]
>
>This is a vote to consolidate the development lists at Jakarta into
>one development and one notifications list. For background including
>timing, anticipated benefits and some discussion, see proposal [1]
>thread.
>
>[ ] +1
>[ ] -1

+1

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
Given that I'm awaiting a clarification and this is a close vote, I'll
extend the voting period by atleast another day. IOW, last call to
vote :-)

Counting my own +1, we currently have the following binding votes
summary so far:

4  +1s
1  +0
2  -1s
1  awaiting clarification

I also count 2 non-binding +1s and 3 non-binding -1s.

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Quasar <qu...@libero.it>.
-1

The reasons Rahul explained are certainly valid for developers
subscribed to more than one dev list.
In my case, being subscribed to only JMeter dev list, I don't see
advantages in having all prjs in the same list; on the contrary, I'll
get more "useless" messages.

But of course this is only my opinion. Whatever decision will be taken,
I'll be part of the dev list.

Giuseppe

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
I generally want to stay out of this vote thread till it runs its
course and I do appreciate the viewpoints expressed so far. Since
there is a question posed here, I'll try to respond briefly below ...

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 6:00 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/10/2009, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [Suggestion is to please reply to the general@jakarta list only]
>>
>>  This is a vote to consolidate the development lists at Jakarta into
>>  one development and one notifications list. For background including
>>  timing, anticipated benefits and some discussion, see proposal [1]
>>  thread.
>>
>>  [ ] +1
>>  [ ] -1
>
> +0.
>
> I follow BSF-dev and JMeter-dev and both are fairly quiet, so as far
> as I'm concerned they could be merged into a common dev list.
>
> However, I'm wondering if it's the right time to do this. AIUI there
> is talk of moving some of the Jakarta projects to Commons - why not do
> that first and see what's left?

<snip/>

IMO:

We will pursue that, we know what will be left. The bits that may move
out contribute hardly any dev traffic so it doesn't change the
equation here very much.

This is absolutely a good time to do this. Jakarta is now at a point
where this is feasible (i.e. enough bits have moved out that the
collective dev traffic is mild compared to some other projects). In
doing this level of flattening, it allows us to overcome one of the
biggest shortcomings of the canonical umbrella project with dev nooks
and crannies. Other motivations as mentioned elsewhere.

-Rahul

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rony,

Please see clarification request below.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 2:23 AM, Rony G. Flatscher
<Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:

> sebb wrote:
>> On 19/10/2009, Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> [Suggestion is to please reply to the general@jakarta list only]
>>>
>>>  This is a vote to consolidate the development lists at Jakarta into
>>>  one development and one notifications list. For background including
>>>  timing, anticipated benefits and some discussion, see proposal [1]
>>>  thread.
>>>
>>>  [ ] +1
>>>  [ ] -1
>>>

>> +0.
>>
>> I follow BSF-dev and JMeter-dev and both are fairly quiet, so as far
>> as I'm concerned they could be merged into a common dev list.
>>
>> However, I'm wondering if it's the right time to do this. AIUI there
>> is talk of moving some of the Jakarta projects to Commons - why not do
>> that first and see what's left?
>>
> +1

Please clarify whether by that +1 you mean to:
(a) agree with what sebb said above and are also voting +0,
(b) agree with what sebb said above but have not cast a vote,
(c) cast a +1 vote,
(d) something else altogether :-)

-Rahul

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Quasar <qu...@libero.it>.
-1

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
-1

As explained before.

> Only subscribed to 1 project. If consolidation on dev happens then
> there will be no good way to filter out emails I don't care about.

Same here.

RE: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Tim Cronin <Ti...@autonomy.com>.
-1

I Only subscribed to 1 project. If consolidation on dev happens then

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Hanson Char <ha...@gmail.com>.
-1

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Felipe Leme <fe...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
Please start a new email thread if you need to reply (VOTE threads
have special significance and its important to keep unrelated posts
out of these threads). See below ...

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Xavier Delgado <xa...@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm flatted to be in your list, but I don't see how neither why I'm into.
> Could you leave my mail from the list?

<snip/>

As mentioned in the email footer below, send email to
general-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org and reply to the confirmation
email that gets sent out. If that doesn't work, send an email to the
list moderators (at general-owner@jakarta.apache.org ).

-Rahul

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Henri Yandell wrote:

> Non-binding +1.
>
> Whether or not the projects find they like being on one list or not,
> it will be good. If it's not liked, then it's another reason to go
> TLP.

+1 (non-binding)

- Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.
Non-binding +1.

Whether or not the projects find they like being on one list or not,
it will be good. If it's not liked, then it's another reason to go
TLP.

--- as an aside, I thought I'd look at svn activity ---

Number of commits so far this year:

jmeter 481
bsf 143
cactus 97
jcs 63
bcel 15

We already know that ecs, oro and regexp are in the close to attic
situation, so no commits is no surprise. Whether they go Attic, or
whether they go to Commons for a slow maintenance can

Comparing to TLPs:

http://www.svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?from=20090101&to=20091231

JMeter is about 66% down the list, ranking alongside Struts for
developer activity.  It's all Sebb.

BSF is about 80% down the list, ranking alongside Roller for developer
activity. It's Sebb and Ant.

Cactus is a bit further down, ranking as a little more active than
mod_perl, mod_tcl and logging. It's Petar with a few commits from
Sebb.

JCS is with stdcxx, just below logging. It's Aaron.

BCEL would be at the bottom of the list with Xalan. It's Dave.

Reason for that is to show that on their own, the Jakarta subprojects
are hardly abnormal. Looking at the ones I mention:

Roller is 3 committers, very much centered on 1 committer.
Struts has 2 highly active committers with a long tail of other committers.
mod_perl is 8 committers.
mod_tcl is 3 committers.
logging is 3 committers.
stdcxx is 2 committers.

So the big difference is not the activity of each subproject, but that
each one is 1 committer shy of being a TLP.

Hen

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Quasar <qu...@libero.it>.
-1

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Quasar <qu...@libero.it>.
-1

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> [Suggestion is to please reply to the general@jakarta list only]
>
> This is a vote to consolidate the development lists at Jakarta into
> one development and one notifications list. For background including
> timing, anticipated benefits and some discussion, see proposal [1]
> thread.
>
> [ ] +1
> [X] -1

I'm only following JCS and I'm not interested in being flooded with
anything more. Sorry.

Bye, Thomas.

[RESULT][VOTE] Merge dev lists

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.