Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com> on 2007/03/01 05:16:04 UTC

planning release, Re: updating license headers - what's next?

Natalia Shilenkova wrote:
> Speaking of next version... Are there any plans for new release?

There were no special plans, but we should make some.

> It
> certainly has been a while since last release. Is there anything
> outstanding?

I see that there is an indexing related patch from you in bugzilla. So that
would make at least one outstanding issue :)

There are also other loose ends - like document caching, meta data handling, etc
- which is good to have fixed before release. On the other hand, there is always
something to fix and that should not delay release indefinitely.

Bigger question, IMHO, is what should we label the next release - should it be
next beta, b5, or should we label it as final 1.1 release? Any opinions?

Vadim

Re: planning release, Re: updating license headers - what's next?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Natalia Shilenkova wrote:
> Any idea when the release thing may happen? I have at least a couple
> of patches in progress, would like to get them included before
> release.

I think release should happen sometime after we decide on some release plan ;-)

I'll try to draft one soon...

Vadim

Posted by Natalia Shilenkova <ns...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Byrne <to...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good.

Todd

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Posted by Todd Byrne <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Georg Sauer-Limbach <gs...@gslweb.de>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Georg Sauer-Limbach wrote:
>> There is the problem that changes to the database that are made
>> via the local interface (command line) are not reflected in a
>> running server instance, i.e. in Tomcat. Maybe this makes a
>> candidate for nice-to-fix?
> No, this one does not. But bring in other suggestions :)
>
> Regarding your problem. You should never attempt to open database
> files from two processes, such as Tomcat & command line tool with -l
> switch, since that will corrupt your database. If you are running
> instance of db in Tomcat, use db URL in the command line to access
> this running instance, instead of -l switch [1]:
>
>   ./bin/xindice lc -c xmldb:xindice://localhost:8080/db

Thanks for the hint, I really should avoid the local calls.
I really used them only for the less typing :-)
> BTW, have you tried the latest trunk? If you are using windows it
> should prevent you from concurrently accessing same database files
> from different processes. It does not work for me in OS X though...
> When Xindice drops minimum java 1.3 requirement, we could use java
> 1.4's new file I/O to make file locking work on all platforms.
We are still using version 1.4b, and on Unix. It would certainly be
good to have the locking functionality on all systems. But I
understand it is difficult with Java 1.3.

Regards
Georg

Re: planning release, Re: updating license headers - what's next?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Posted by Georg Sauer-Limbach <gs...@gslweb.de>.