Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/05 22:54:30 UTC

[Android] Why is DataResource still in master?

Hey

Why is DataResouce still in master? I don't want this code to go into
2.9.0 or 3.0.0, since I have no idea what this is trying to
accomplish.  I'm going to start ripping it out of master tomorrow if
someone doesn't tell me why it should still be here.

Seriously, WTF?

Re: [Android] Why is DataResource still in master?

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Not sure where this ended up, but I can add to the motivation behind it:

On Android, there's not only file: URLs, but there are also resource:,
content:, file:///android_asset. To handle these all properly, each plugin
that accepts URLs as a parameter has to do a lot of work, and currently
pretty much no plugins do manage to handle it properly in all cases. This
API is meant to be an attempt centralize the logic of URL -> InputStream.

A side-motivation of DataResource is to allow plugins to intercept resource
loads. This ability is required by AppHarness so that it can multiplex apps.

Implementation-wise, I'd like to see the logic from FileHelpers folded into
DataResource rather than having DataResource call out to FileHelper. This
will reduce the API surface for IO. I'd also like to see the API for
getting a DataResource put into CordovaInterface rather than having to call
a static method.

Posted by Braden Shepherdson <br...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.