Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp> on 2005/03/27 20:26:09 UTC

[Patch] Re: About improvement of DERBY-134

Hello.

I have added some test to orderby.sql (and correspond result to orderby.out)
,
which was suggested by Jack Klebanoff.

And I have executed derbylang test and coulud not found error exept for
lang/floattypes.sql.
I think this error is not caused by my patch.

derbylang_report.txt is attached to this mail.

Please check this patch from a point of other person's view.

best regards.

/*

         Tomohito Nakayama
         tomoihto@rose.zero.ad.jp
         tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp

         Naka

*/
Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Danesh Irani wrote:

>Hello Kathey,
>
>Christian when reporting Derby-167 had a few possible solutions, is
>Satheesh's proposed SQL Standard way included in one of those? If not
>could you perhaps elaborate a little on what Satheesh proposed.
>Personally I think all 3 of Christians solutions would add value in
>terms of flexibility to Derby.
>
>Thanks
>~Danesh

I couldn't find Satheesh's mail but yes it was regarding option 1,
generated by default.  I  looked up the SQL syntax  in the sql standard
and put a comment in the JIRA  entry.

Kathey

Re: (Derby 167) was Re: [Patch] Re: About improvement of DERBY-134

Posted by Danesh Irani <da...@gmail.com>.
Hello Kathey,

Posted by Mamta Satoor <ms...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:44:30 +0900, TomohitoNakayama
<to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:
> Waiting 1 day and no error was found.
> Can I ask committers to commit this patch ?
>
> Or I should commit it by myself ?

Hi Tomohito,

Great job with being so persistent with this bug.

As for commiting the patch, one of the Derby committers will need to
commit it for you.

Mamta

Re: (Derby 167) was Re: [Patch] Re: About improvement of DERBY-134

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
Hello.

>> 2:being able to disable the "identity" feature for a column
>> 3:being able to generate a column as non identity and after data is
>> populated, alter table to add the "identity" to the column

I think those are needed to allow user to enable loading data "AND" keep
values at identity column tidy.
(Now "tidy" means user can't decide pk value at their discretion.)

We should have both approaches after all ...

Then I think this is matter of priority.

/*

         Tomohito Nakayama
         tomoihto@rose.zero.ad.jp
         tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp

         Naka

*/
Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
Hello.

I was interested in issue of Derby-167...

I recognized there was proposed three options.
1:being able to "generate by default as identity"
2:being able to disable the "identity" feature for a column
3:being able to generate a column as non identity and after data is
populated, alter table to add the "identity" to the column

In my opinion , option 2 and option 3  increase statuses which table can
take , identity feature working state and not working state,
so they would make it complex to maintain db.
On the other hand, if we take option 1, we need to prevent it from to have
same value in identity column.

Best regards.

/*

         Tomohito Nakayama
         tomoihto@rose.zero.ad.jp
         tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp

         Naka

*/

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
Hello.

Thank for all who advise and help me !

Now I'm reading code of derby here and there , and found this program is
very attractive.
I want to find next material for hacking :D

Best regards.

PS.
I sended mail of ICLA last Thu.
If no problem happened, It will arrive.