Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Marcel Reutegger <mr...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2022/07/11 15:08:54 UTC

Jackrabbit Oak 1.44.0 release plan

Hi,

It’s been more than 6 month since the last Oak feature release. I’d like to release 1.44.0 after blocking issues have been resolved.

Issues currently open for 1.44.0 are here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20OAK%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.44.0

I consider the Java 17 related issues and OAK-9669 a blocker, but not the various improvements scheduled for 1.44.0.

Let me know if you have any objections.

Regards
Marcel

Re: Jackrabbit Oak 1.44.0 release plan

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <mr...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
Hi Konrad,

On 12.07.22, 18:44, "Konrad Windszus" <kw...@apache.org> wrote:
> Although I appreciate a release, I see that this has been done already
> now. I would appreciate if you would give the Jackrabbit community a bit
> more in advance notice (maybe one week) to allow others to contribute
> fixes and also to consider at least the approved PR reviews

Fair point, I'll keep this in mind next time I create a release. Though,
I'm not sure about approved PRs. Most of these were approved even before
1.42.0. If there is real interest in these changes, then I'd argue there
was plenty of time getting them into trunk. In my view the burden shouldn't
be on the person creating the release to get those changes in, but rather
the individuals who created and approved the PRs.

> The amount of open PRs (172) also seems to indicate that the process for
> contributions does not work well. Maybe everyone of the Oak committers
> can dedicate some more time to do timely reviews…

I agree on the last part and I'm guilty of that as well. However, some
or even many of those PRs were simply abandoned and can be closed without
merging. This is work no one really wants to invest :-/ But it may indeed
be good to spend the time and clean up the clutter.

Posted by Konrad Windszus <kw...@apache.org>.
Hi Marcel,

Although I appreciate a release, I see that this has been done already now.
I would appreciate if you would give the Jackrabbit community a bit more in advance notice (maybe one week) to allow others to contribute fixes and also to consider at least the approved PR reviews: https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-oak/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aopen+review%3Aapproved <https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-oak/pulls?q=is:pr+is:open+review:approved> (9 in total)

The amount of open PRs (172) also seems to indicate that the process for contributions does not work well.
Maybe everyone of the Oak committers can dedicate some more time to do timely reviews…

I personally won’t be able to vote on a potential 1.44.0 release as the testing fails for me locally due to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-9679 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-9679> (with an open PR at https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-oak/pull/612 <https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-oak/pull/612>)

Maybe for the next release we can all try to pay more attention to the open PRs.

Thanks,

Konrad