Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com> on 2017/06/28 00:14:20 UTC

Suffocating development environment

I'm writing this on the public dev list as there seems to be inaction on
the private list regarding the preservation and nurturing of contributions
to the TomEE project. I hope this serves as an entry into a public
discussion on how to improve or resolve the situation.

This evening (and late into the night) I was working in my free time
together with another contributor in an effort to improve the currently
very poor TomEE website. This work was offsite, and being pushed to staging
for peer review.

It became apparent that another committer deemed it in some way acceptable
to trash this effort 'during' this work without any collaboration simply
because they disagree with some of the changes, even when those changes had
not been finalised. The existence and state of the JIRA ticket was
completely disregarded by this committer.

This is not the first time that a committer has performed such arrogant and
destructive actions on other peoples contributions to the project. Such
actions are always extremely disrespectful at a personal level. This is of
course reflected by the state of the community that currently feels void of
any participation specifically due to this kind of mobbing. It has become
virtually impossible for contributors to perform any work on the project
without almost instant negative, rather than positive or nurturing, input
at every level (even documentation). I know of several potential
contributors who have avoided the project due to this currently very
predictable attitude. It has in fact almost become a joke within other
communities.

Maybe speaking for others, it is no secret that some committers do not get
along with others due to these reasons. However, I do value the immense
contribution by every committer to the TomEE project and understand each
individuals value and rights to and on the project. This does not mean that
one individual is the owner of this project (we all are) and has the right
to overwrite or trash other peoples work in progress, no one should ever
have that sole right. Well actually we all do, and this seems to be the
fundamental problem.

We desperately need to instigate some measures to prevent the further
demise of the TomEE community by individuals that seem intent on breaking
it for reasons that go beyond me (well actually they don't, but that's
another story). I believe that there was a past discussion on introducing a
2 or 3 plus one workflow into the the project, whereby all commits must
undergo a peer review. This may somewhat stifle rapid development, but on
the other hand it would ensure that commits are stable and not open to
trashing by others.

Given that the current JIRA practice is now to commit before creating the
actual issue (which has been encouraged by the overly aggressive
environment), the peer review system would also return that process back to
a normal and acceptable state. Therefore I would like to suggest we begin
taking the necessary steps for the introduction of this process.

Looking forward to some candid responses.

Best regards,

Andy.

--
  Andy Gumbrecht
  https://twitter.com/AndyGeeDe

Re: Suffocating development environment

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
:

> [...]
> > > order (in terms of your post).
> > >
> > > -- Reverting commits.
> > >
> > > I've seen the reverts - I also note that other than on a JIRA ticket,
> > there
> > > was zero conversation on the dev@ list. This isn't the first time that
> > > this
> > > has happened, and in my opinion, is fundamentally wrong. If there is a
> > > genuine need to revert something, you need to post to the dev@ list,
> > call
> > > out the commit, and say why it needs reverting. The person proposing
> the
> > > revert should be prepared to have a should we "roll-back or
> fail-forward"
> > > conversation in the community, and not simply take it upon themselves
> > > make that choice. Folks might be wondering why we need to do this (I
> > think
> > > there is a perception that their mail might not be read, so why bother
> > > posting) - reasons are simple:
> > >
> > > * Encourage discussion and contribution - discuss the specific issues.
> > What
> > > stopped working? Does the committer know what they broke, or what the
> > > reason for proposing a roll-back is
> > > * Co-ordinate - if something breaks in a commit, deciding who's going
> > > help fix what might be better than rolling back
> > > * Educate - is there a process where something in staging becomes live
> > > automatically? Is that what we tried to avoid this time? Is there a
> > better
> > > way to build the site and stage it for peer review?
> > >

> > FYI
> > http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Fwd-svn-commit-r18
> > 00091-in-tomee-site-trunk-content-content-admin-content-admi
> > n-cluster-content-admi-td4681967.html
> > was intented to host that discussion (and not pollute jira)
> >
> > Note that it is what happent most of the time, not sure why these dev
> mails
> > are missed.
> >

> That's now been pointed out to me twice since I posted this. Actually saw
> and read that post before posting. If you think that constitutes a clear
> discussion, and justifies your actions - sorry, but I'm afraid I could not
> disagree more:
>
> * You replied to commit. Yes that hits the dev@ list, but was the shortest
> possible thing you could have done, and in reality had almost no
> visibility. However, you didn't change the title, so at a glance, its hard
> to distinguish from the commit messages themselves. To answer your question
> - this is most probably why they are missed. Do you really think "Fwd: svn
> commit: r1800091 - in /tomee/site/trunk: content/ content/admin/
> content/admin/cluster/ content/admin/configuration/ content/advanced/
> content/advanced/applicationcomposer/ content/advanced/client/
> content/advanced/jms/ content/advanced/shading/ co..." is a good subject?
> How about "Please don't push these website changes to production". Or
> "[DISCUSS] [REVERT] breaking website change"?

Fair enough, noted!

> * Your single line message "Please don't publish this, it breaks existing
> links which is pby sthg we don't want to do now. Pinged Ivan about it",
> tells us very little. You make no mention that you intend to revert it, and
> very minimal information on what the issue is. How are we supposed to
> discuss it if we don't know what the issue is? Side note - I don't know how
> well people with less English knowledge get on with the abbreviation of
> "probably something". This is just a suggestion, but I'd avoid the
> abbreviation of those words on your already very short message.

Yep, at that time there was an implicit assumption based on the dev thread
which was the patch would be discussed before being applied. Guess I was in
this mind when forwarded the mail/

> * You "pinged" Ivan - privately, I assume. I have no visibility of that.
> Why not just post it on dev@ and have the discussion in the open. Maybe
> we'll all learn and improve and collaborate as a result. Maybe we'll appear
> as a more welcoming community. The private conversation is exactly what we
> should avoid.

Fair too, just thought it was directed comments so didnt need to be shared
and bother others with it.

> * If I have read commit emails correctly, your revert (which actually shows
> _before_ your post to dev@ in my mailbox, by the way), your revert commit
> happened within 60 seconds of your post. Not exactly a lot of time to
> enable a conversation, is it?

This was not the intent, intent was to show that the operation was intended
and open the discussion if needed (= if reading it you understand why then
no need to discuss and we just need to polish the patch on the thread +
jira).

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> As one of the people that had a commit reverted, then history hard pushed,
> think it should be a policy that NO git push --hard should ever occur.
> There
> was/is absolutely no justification for such childish behavior.

To be more accurate it was on svn and it was a merge so history was not
lost and revert was visible and not hidden.

> +1 for Andy speaking up in a polite manner and
> +1 for JG's examples and
> +1 for a keeping the old (non-angular) website around until a new one is
> actually ready and a vote can be called

Agree..there was one and we agreed to promote the experimental ng website
as the main site. We also kept the old one to not do a big bang (we only
lost the home page link which is using .old IIRC).

Side detail note again to be accurate: this is not an angular website.

Re: Suffocating development environment

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 1:17 PM, Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>
wrote:

> The subject of this thread is intended to cover the multiple incidents of
> the past and address the increasing number of current and future concerns
> coming from multiple contributors, that will remain anonymous for obvious
> reasons. I am just being the voice with broad shoulders here.

I understand. I think you're trying to avoid a "witch hunt" which is good.
However, I think it is reasonable to "call out" specific actions politely,
and suggest some alternatives, so we all learn and can progress as a team.
We're all grown ups, and I'm sure we can have positive discussions and all
be stronger as a result. The problem with anonymity and broadly shouldering
the complaints of a number contributions generically, is it makes it hard
to know what you're specifically referring to, and therefore makes it
harder for people to learn what's an issue and what needs to improve. I am
by no means perfect (ask anyone, I'm sure they'll confirm that...), so if I
do something wrong, or could do better, I'd prefer to know about it, and
I'd prefer to know the specifics so I can grow, learn and help others. I
prefer it if the feedback is polite, and filled with suggestions on "the
right way(s)", of course.

> In this instance there were basically two simple human errors that
> should/would have been resolved in an orderly manner. They only serve as
> the example of how the current climate is, and why we should consider
> changing it for the benefit of the community. The thread topic should still
> be the focus.
>
> 1. The project was checked in missing the target svn ignore and it was
> never subsequently fixed, so the add pulled in target. This was only
> noticed during a commit in action. On attempting to rectify this simple
> mistake less than one minute later someone had already took it upon
> themselves to trash all commits rather than allow the problem to be
> resolved in an orderly fashion either through the ticket in progress or
> email - this came after the effect, i.e too late. Obviously this action led
> to multiple conflicts. Making it virtually impossible to recover.
>
> 2. The deployment to staging has often been used to provide access for
> review purposes in the past, but as Romain rightly points out there are
> risks involved in doing that, and a better way is to use the personal http
> spaces at Apache. The risks were still trivial and could be reverted in a
> matter of minutes if the staging were to be inadvertently published, but
> still agree that the personal space is the right place. That still does not
> warrant trashing someone else's work, ever. The problem should have been
> addressed appropriately. Acting in any other way is always going to inflame
> a situation, every time, without fail. Who likes having their evenings work
> deleted? Having it corrected is generally welcome I would guess.

A quick discussion of rollback / fail-forward on the dev list would have
resolved all of that easily, in my opinion. Side note, the use of personal
http space at Apache seems like a great way to review patches. The
documentation should include a reference to that.

> Both actions and the ensuing assertion in comments that the effort was only
> made in determent to the project, or only for the benefit of a third party
> company, is derogatory and inflammatory. Especially from whence it came and
> the potential conflict of interests involved already. This will again
> always result in a defensive response when it is simply not true. It will
> never result in a submissive response.
>
> Either way, the introduction of a 2 or 3 plus one workflow will completely
> mitigate any future issues like this. No one makes a commit with the
> intention of breaking something. Commits are made every day across the
> world that *do* break something. Everyone needs to understand that, and
> respond appropriately. Especially on an global  OSS project where people
> are dedicating their free time. TomEE is *not* a nuclear bomb that cannot
> be touched for fear of it exploding between stable releases. Version
> control is our saving grace. Community contributors need breathing space to
> grow into the project. Everyone makes mistakes. Mistakes should not be a
> means used to alienate new contributions, only as a tool to guide real
> people with real feelings in the right direction.
>
> To finish off. If work by contributors spans several days, or even weeks,
> then so be it. TomEE is not a full time project for many contributors. Most
> here have a life outside of the box and can only dedicate a limited amount
> of time. This means that it is simply not feasible to expect feature
> complete patches or commits. Incremental work must even be encouraged, as
> every step counts. The impatient must learn to become patient, and not
> trash incremental contributions.

I agree. I think that "Everybody should get to play", and we as committers
and PMC members should encourage that in order to bring new contributors
into the project, and steer them in the right direction. Things will break
from time-to-time, which means we need to be diligent about checking builds
and careful when creating releases, but it shouldn't discourage people from
having a go.

As I've already stated, I'm in favour of more discussion and review on dev@,
even for what may appear to be trivial changes.

Jon

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> [...]
> are dedicating their free time. TomEE is *not* a nuclear bomb that cannot
> be touched for fear of it exploding between stable releases. Version
> control is our saving grace. Community contributors need breathing space to
> grow into the project. Everyone makes mistakes. Mistakes should not be a
> means used to alienate new contributions, only as a tool to guide real
> people with real feelings in the right direction.
>
> To finish off. If work by contributors spans several days, or even weeks,
> then so be it. TomEE is not a full time project for many contributors. Most
> here have a life outside of the box and can only dedicate a limited amount
> of time. This means that it is simply not feasible to expect feature
> complete patches or commits. Incremental work must even be encouraged, as
> every step counts. The impatient must learn to become patient, and not

This is true and what we agreed on for master sources but think we should
put the limit in term of direct end user impact. The website being directly
exposed it is easy to break them for 10H or more and a quick revert, even
if technically true, is not guaranteed at all. This is also why pubsub
plugin is not automatically wired to the generator. If we agree to use the
personal html area we solve that part - and probably need to create a
committer page on the website btw.

About target I guess Mark is our expert and can fix it very quick?

Posted by Andy Gumbrecht <ag...@tomitribe.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
:

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Wow.

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <gu...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi all
+1

From my observation in this list and some couple of ASF projects, you are absolutely right.  ASF projects long term success is heavily related with the healthy project community and their consensus (https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html ). Projects must not be controlled and developed by anybody or any commercial organization. For example, look at the Apache Geronimo current state which was controlled and mostly developed by the commercial organization but now tin the stage of going to attic.
so more Apache way please (http://theapacheway.com/)

Regards.
Gurkan

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

> I'm writing this on the public dev list as there seems to be inaction on
> the private list regarding the preservation and nurturing of contributions
> to the TomEE project. I hope this serves as an entry into a public
> discussion on how to improve or resolve the situation.
>
> This evening (and late into the night) I was working in my free time
> together with another contributor in an effort to improve the currently
> very poor TomEE website. This work was offsite, and being pushed to staging
> for peer review.

We need to be more carefulness with that process because it doesn't work
Andy. We don't have a staging repo so it means if you push to staging and
somebody else push a change intended to the prod site (let say David fixes
a typo or adds an awesome doc on ejbd client for instance) then the staged
changes which are not yet desired would go live.

I don't know if we can get a staging repo linked to the staging site and
but it can be a way to enable what you desired yesterday.

Side note: the evolution of th website makes it trivial to run it locally
for any java/maven user so the staging is less useful IMHO which mitigates
this issue (whereas before the perl/python/bash env was a pain to run with
the right versions etc).

Last point which is nice not applying just to go in staging is to preserve
some history in our SCM otherwise we at least need to tak through the
commit message the commit as ignorable.

Side note: also please make sure to not commit target/ which is a temporary
folder, ensure it is in your svn ignore or we can add it remotely if needed.

> It became apparent that another committer deemed it in some way acceptable
> to trash this effort 'during' this work without any collaboration simply
> because they disagree with some of the changes, even when those changes had
> not been finalised. The existence and state of the JIRA ticket was
> completely disregarded by this committer.

To make it clear the "other" was me.

However contrarly to what you think it was not a random and happy action.
The risk to trash the prod website was too high and the discussion about
the patch was in progress (days ago on the list and probably concurrently
on the jira).

> This is not the first time that a committer has performed such arrogant and
> destructive actions on other peoples contributions to the project. Such
> actions are always extremely disrespectful at a personal level. This is of
> course reflected by the state of the community that currently feels void of
> any participation specifically due to this kind of mobbing. It has become
> virtually impossible for contributors to perform any work on the project
> without almost instant negative, rather than positive or nurturing, input
> at every level (even documentation). I know of several potential
> contributors who have avoided the project due to this currently very
> predictable attitude. It has in fact almost become a joke within other
> communities.

Well I'm not sure what you are thinking about but each time I did I sent a
mail or made the commit message obvious about why the change was done.
If you silently disagree you agree....

> Maybe speaking for others, it is no secret that some committers do not get
> along with others due to these reasons. However, I do value the immense
> contribution by every committer to the TomEE project and understand each
> individuals value and rights to and on the project. This does not mean that
> one individual is the owner of this project (we all are) and has the right
> to overwrite or trash other peoples work in progress, no one should ever
> have that sole right. Well actually we all do, and this seems to be the
> fundamental problem.

Once again this is not what happens Andy. Most of the time it imples fixes
or preventing regressions like when some committer upgrades dependencies
versions and breaks TCK...

> We desperately need to instigate some measures to prevent the further
> demise of the TomEE community by individuals that seem intent on breaking
> it for reasons that go beyond me (well actually they don't, but that's
> another story). I believe that there was a past discussion on introducing a
> 2 or 3 plus one workflow into the the project, whereby all commits must
> undergo a peer review. This may somewhat stifle rapid development, but on
> the other hand it would ensure that commits are stable and not open to
> trashing by others.

I don't think it is related. Main issue is the lack of action when the
build breaks. We maybe don't have the same time notion here but days (to
not say more) without any try to fix the build looks not acceptable to me.

> Given that the current JIRA practice is now to commit before creating the
> actual issue (which has been encouraged by the overly aggressive
> environment), the peer review system would also return that process back to
> a normal and acceptable state. Therefore I would like to suggest we begin
> taking the necessary steps for the introduction of this process.

We already discussed it and say it was not possible today due to the people
resources and that the gain would be too poor compared to the investment.
What would have changed?