Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by rustix <a....@gmail.com> on 2008/10/17 14:18:21 UTC

[Help] Checking number of concurrent session with JMeter?

i've created a wap application using java and wml. this system has to be able
to support 24000 concurrent sessions at a given time. how could i carry this
out? i'm hoping to use JMeter

Re: [Help] Checking number of concurrent session with JMeter?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 17/10/2008, rustix <a....@gmail.com> wrote:

>  i've created a wap application using java and wml. this system has to be able
>  to support 24000 concurrent sessions at a given time. how could i carry this
>  out? i'm hoping to use JMeter

24000 concurrent sessions is a large number - too big for a single
JMeter instance - or indeed a single host, unless connections are
shared.

However, how many of them actually need to be active at any one time?
And what constitutes a session? Is there a login process to establish
the session?

There may be ways to set up JMeter to send requests that look to the
application that they are coming from different sessions, but which in
fact are coming from the same JMeter thread - e.g. by interleaving
requests with different session ids (not sure how easy that will be;
depends on the session tracking).

A simple test plan on a fast host can probably handle 500-1000
threads; beyond that one needs to use multiple instances. But note
that the request load generated by a single JMeter thread can far
exceed that generated by a human user.

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/HowManyThreads

Re: [Help] Checking number of concurrent session with JMeter?

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
good point. 24000 session may not be a problem if the application
doesn't stick huge objects in the session.

I've seen people stick huge object graphs in tomcat sessions and then
wonder why 20 users made it crawl.

peter

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.