Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2001/03/20 05:32:22 UTC

[VOTE] Proposed Tomcat 4.0-Beta-2 Code Freeze Date

There have been a large number of feature additions and bug fixes to the
Tomcat 4.0 code base since Tomcat 4.0-beta-1 was published in
January.  This includes implementation of some changes to the servlet API
that have been approved by the JSR-053 expert group, and a fix for a cross
site JavaScript vulnerability that was reported over the weekend.

I propose that we cut a Tomcat 4.0-Beta-2 release that reflects these
changes and improvements.  The proposed schedule:
* Release manager:  Craig McClanahan
* Code freeze in the "jakarta-tomcat-4.0" repository, except for approved
  but fixes, through Thursday (March 22, 2001).
* Tag and release 4.0-beta-2 on Thursday night.
* Open repository for further enhancements on Friday.

Before voting, you might want to see my subsequent message on overall
Tomcat 4.0 planning and strategy.

----- Clip and Return This Portion -----

    +1  [ ]   I support the proposed release, and will work to support it
    +0  [ ]   I support the proposed release, but cannot work on it
              at this time
    -0  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release, but do not have an
              alternative to propose
    -1  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release, for reasons specified
              below.

Craig McClanahan (who votes +1)

Re: [VOTE] Proposed Tomcat 4.0-Beta-2 Code Freeze Date

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> ----- Clip and Return This Portion -----
>
>     +1  [X]   I support the proposed release, and will work to support it
>     +0  [ ]   I support the proposed release, but cannot work on it
>               at this time
>     -0  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release, but do not have an
>               alternative to propose
>     -1  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release, for reasons specified
>               below.

Remy

Re: [VOTE] Proposed Tomcat 4.0-Beta-2 Code Freeze Date

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Glenn Nielsen wrote:
>
> > "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> > >
> > > There have been a large number of feature additions and bug fixes to the
> > > Tomcat 4.0 code base since Tomcat 4.0-beta-1 was published in
> > > January.  This includes implementation of some changes to the servlet API
> > > that have been approved by the JSR-053 expert group, and a fix for a cross
> > > site JavaScript vulnerability that was reported over the weekend.
> > >

> > More items for the B2 changes document:
> >
> > Implemented the Java SecurityManager.
> >
> > Added the <DefaultContext .. /> element for configuration of defaults
> > for a Context which can be used in either the Engine or Host scope.
> >

> Hmm, I thought I said both of these (under "new features"), but can make
> them more explicit.  One of my personal TODOs is to catch up on the rest
> of the server.xml configuration docs.

I didn't see the commit of your B2 release notes until after I sent this email.

> > Switched Jasper over to using the URLClassLoader, put JSP java source
> > code and compiled class files in a directory hierarchy and simplified
> > the class and file naming.  This improved Jasper compilation performance
> > by 33% and runtime performance by 25%.
> >

> Thanks, I'll include the actual numbers as well.
>
> > > I propose that we cut a Tomcat 4.0-Beta-2 release that reflects these
> > > changes and improvements.  The proposed schedule:
> > > * Release manager:  Craig McClanahan
> > > * Code freeze in the "jakarta-tomcat-4.0" repository, except for approved
> > >   but fixes, through Thursday (March 22, 2001).
> > > * Tag and release 4.0-beta-2 on Thursday night.
> > > * Open repository for further enhancements on Friday.
> > >
> > > Before voting, you might want to see my subsequent message on overall
> > > Tomcat 4.0 planning and strategy.
> > >
> > > ----- Clip and Return This Portion -----
> > >
> > >     +1  [ ]   I support the proposed release, and will work to support it
> > >     +0  [ ]   I support the proposed release, but cannot work on it
> > >               at this time
> > >     -0  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release, but do not have an
> > >               alternative to propose
> > >     -1  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release, for reasons specified
> > >               below.
> > >
> > > Craig McClanahan (who votes +1)
> >
> > -1  This is pretty short notice to release Beta 2.  I haven't had a chance
> > yet to test the new mod_webapp code.  I also would like to get my proposed
> > changes to how Tomcat unpacks web apps and the manager servlet done, I consider
> > some of this to be a bug fix. I should have these changes done in 2-4 days.
> > I would suggest waiting until the 27-30'th, get it out before ApacheCon.
> >

> Are we willing to wait for the security bugfix?  You can have the fix now
> by downloading the nightly build, but most people wait for betas.

I just think its a bit rushed.  How about a code freeze (except bug fixes)
Monday 3/26 and releasing B2 by Friday 3/30 before ApacheCon.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: [VOTE] Proposed Tomcat 4.0-Beta-2 Code Freeze Date

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> >
> > There have been a large number of feature additions and bug fixes to the
> > Tomcat 4.0 code base since Tomcat 4.0-beta-1 was published in
> > January.  This includes implementation of some changes to the servlet API
> > that have been approved by the JSR-053 expert group, and a fix for a cross
> > site JavaScript vulnerability that was reported over the weekend.
> >

> More items for the B2 changes document:
>
> Implemented the Java SecurityManager.
>
> Added the <DefaultContext .. /> element for configuration of defaults
> for a Context which can be used in either the Engine or Host scope.

Hmm, I thought I said both of these (under "new features"), but can make
them more explicit.  One of my personal TODOs is to catch up on the rest
of the server.xml configuration docs.

> Switched Jasper over to using the URLClassLoader, put JSP java source
> code and compiled class files in a directory hierarchy and simplified
> the class and file naming.  This improved Jasper compilation performance
> by 33% and runtime performance by 25%.

Thanks, I'll include the actual numbers as well.

> > I propose that we cut a Tomcat 4.0-Beta-2 release that reflects these
> > changes and improvements.  The proposed schedule:
> > * Release manager:  Craig McClanahan
> > * Code freeze in the "jakarta-tomcat-4.0" repository, except for approved
> >   but fixes, through Thursday (March 22, 2001).
> > * Tag and release 4.0-beta-2 on Thursday night.
> > * Open repository for further enhancements on Friday.
> >
> > Before voting, you might want to see my subsequent message on overall
> > Tomcat 4.0 planning and strategy.
> >
> > ----- Clip and Return This Portion -----
> >
> >     +1  [ ]   I support the proposed release, and will work to support it
> >     +0  [ ]   I support the proposed release, but cannot work on it
> >               at this time
> >     -0  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release, but do not have an
> >               alternative to propose
> >     -1  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release, for reasons specified
> >               below.
> >
> > Craig McClanahan (who votes +1)
>
> -1  This is pretty short notice to release Beta 2.  I haven't had a chance
> yet to test the new mod_webapp code.  I also would like to get my proposed
> changes to how Tomcat unpacks web apps and the manager servlet done, I consider
> some of this to be a bug fix. I should have these changes done in 2-4 days.
> I would suggest waiting until the 27-30'th, get it out before ApacheCon.

Are we willing to wait for the security bugfix?  You can have the fix now
by downloading the nightly build, but most people wait for betas.

I need to add a note about mod_webapp to the "Known Issues" section.  It's
getting better, but still not at the same quality level as the rest of
4.0.

> Regards,
>
> Glenn

Craig

Re: [VOTE] Proposed Tomcat 4.0-Beta-2 Code Freeze Date

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.

Posted by Mel Martinez <me...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> ----- Clip and Return This Portion -----
>
>     +1  [ ]   I support the proposed release, and
> will work to support it
>     +0  [ ]   I support the proposed release, but
> cannot work on it
>               at this time
>     -0  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release,
> but do not have an
>               alternative to propose
>     -1  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release,
> for reasons specified
>               below.
>

> Craig McClanahan (who votes +1)

+0

Mel

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: [VOTE] Proposed Tomcat 4.0-Beta-2 Code Freeze Date

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 3/19/01 8:32 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> +1  [ ]   I support the proposed release, and will work to support it
> +0  [X]   I support the proposed release, but cannot work on it
> at this time
> -0  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release, but do not have an
> alternative to propose
> -1  [ ]   I do not support the proposed release, for reasons specified
> below.

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Re: [VOTE] Proposed Tomcat 4.0-Beta-2 Code Freeze Date

Posted by Kief Morris <ki...@bitbull.com>.
Craig R. McClanahan typed the following on 08:32 PM 3/19/2001 -0800

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Craig R. McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
>  -0  [X] I do not support the proposed release, but do not have an
>          alternative to propose

Just got to Dublin, and let me tell you, it's AWFUL... :( I'll try to make
it, but...

    Pier (somewhere in Europe... This time Dublin???)

Pier Fumagalli  <http://www.betaversion.org/>  <ma...@betaversion.org>