Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Angelo Turetta <at...@bestunion.it> on 2006/08/28 17:39:36 UTC

How To keep pubs External to the lenya webapp (1.4) ?

I remember reading some posts from Joerg Nettingsmeier and/or others
about setting up lenya to keep the publication files out of the lenya
webapp root directory: I just can't find them anymore, so excuse me if
that's already been asked.

I've already read
http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/HowToOutsourcePublicationContent, but it is
not exacltly what I seek. In my idea, 'build clean' shouldn't be able to
wipe away my publication (including XSLT/pipelines, not only
docs/assets), at the cost of manually re-syncing files when needed.

To understand what use case I have in mind, imagine lenya packaged as a
WAR, with no way to twiddle the expanded webapp files...

I'm willing to write the result of my search on a Wiki page for others'
reuse, but I'd appreciate an 'right' hint to begin with.

Thanks in advance.

Angelo Turetta

Re: How To keep pubs External to the lenya webapp (1.4) ?

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.
Angelo Turetta wrote:
> I remember reading some posts from Joerg Nettingsmeier and/or others
> about setting up lenya to keep the publication files out of the lenya
> webapp root directory: I just can't find them anymore, so excuse me if
> that's already been asked.
>
> I've already read
> http://wiki.apache.org/lenya/HowToOutsourcePublicationContent, but it is
> not exacltly what I seek. In my idea, 'build clean' shouldn't be able to
> wipe away my publication (including XSLT/pipelines, not only
> docs/assets), at the cost of manually re-syncing files when needed.
>
> To understand what use case I have in mind, imagine lenya packaged as a
> WAR, with no way to twiddle the expanded webapp files...
>
> I'm willing to write the result of my search on a Wiki page for others'
> reuse, but I'd appreciate an 'right' hint to begin with.

as it is now, there are two methods for "outsourcing" files (e.g. store
them outside the build/ tree while still "live").

one is used for modules and one for publication content.

for publication content. you can use the <content-dir> directive in
publication.xconf (see the comment in the default publication.xconf).
iirc this is what the wiki page describes.

it will only move the contents of "content/" (for xml data) and
"resources/" (for what we currently, but hopefully not for very much
longer, call "assets").

all other stuff will be copied over to the build, and if you want to
make changes to a live system, you have to do it there.

you can redirect some more stuff, notably the work files (cache), ac and
lucene indices, by providing custom paths in the respective
configuration files. but this is in no way coordinated with or related
directly to the <content-dir> mechanism. i've been using those hacks for
a while now, and they work.

an nasty but effective approach to ease development on unices is to
symlink the rest over. but it will of course not help you with your .war
scenario.

another method is used with modules. in local.build.properties, you can
specify "modules.copy=false", which will cause lenya to read your module
code from the original directory. this is great for developing, as
changes will be instantaneous (except for caching issues).

i had meant to propose to create the same mechanism for publications
(i.e. move *everything* out of build/), but since i've contributed many
Good Ideas (tm) but very little Code (tm) lately, i decided to shut up
about it and follow up on some other issues first. but i would still
very much welcome this feature.

best,

jörn

--
"Open source takes the bullshit out of software."
	- Charles Ferguson on TechnologyReview.com

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier, EDV-Administrator
Institut für Politikwissenschaft