Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/01/22 09:25:07 UTC

[Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "Logging/FrequentlyAskedQuestions" by SimonKitching

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by SimonKitching:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Logging/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

The comment on the change is:
Moved FAQ info in static webpages to wiki

  The JULI module in Apache Tomcat provides adapters from the java.util.logging API log4j. This is of course not an option for
  code that may be run in JVMs prior to 1.4. The java.util.logging system can also be awkward to set up.
+
+
+ == Is JCL Thread Safe? ==
+
+ JCL doesn't (and cannot) impose any requirement on thread safety on the underlying implementation and thus its SPI contract doesn't guarantee thread safety. However, JCL can be safely used in a multi-threaded environment as long as the underlying implementation is thread-safe.
+
+ It would be very unusual for a logging system to be thread unsafe. Certainly, JCL is thread safe when used with the distributed Log implementations.
+
+ == How Can I Switch Logging Levels On And Off? ==
+
+ See How Do I Change The Logging System Configuration?
+
+ == How Do I Change The Logging System Configuration? ==
+
+ The configuration supported by JCL is limited to choosing the underlying logging system. JCL does not (and will never) support changing the configuration of the wrapped logging system. Please use the mechanisms provided by the underlying logging system.

  == Log4JLogger does not implement Log ==