Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Todd Palino <tp...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/06 17:29:14 UTC

Now available - kafka-tools from LinkedIn SRE

I’ve mentioned this one a couple times in a talk here or a conversation
there, but we hadn’t officially announced a release yet. Now that we’ve
spent some time refactoring the initial code and adding tests, I’m happy to
announce the release of our kafka-tools repository.

The kafka-tools repository (https://github.com/linkedin/kafka-tools) is
where we are starting to release and collaborate on the tools that the SRE
team at LinkedIn uses for managing Kafka clusters. Initially, this is the
kafka-assigner tool that we use for managing partitions in a cluster,
specifically for removing brokers and rebalancing partitions in a cluster.

As always, these are open source and we encourage contributions and
suggestions from everyone. I encourage everyone to take a look and create
PRs for their own features. There’s a couple things that we’re definitely
still working on right now:

   - Adding documentation for everything, including how modules are built
   - Robustness around plugins (to provide local customizations)
   - New balance features, such as rack aware balancing

If there are questions, please feel free to drop me a note. Or open up an
issue on the project. And I want to thank my colleague Jon Bringhurst
profusely for helping to get the structure around the project and the
documentation cleaned up.

-Todd

--
*Todd Palino*