Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Harsha <st...@harsha.io> on 2015/11/05 02:20:51 UTC

[Discusson] Storm System Tests

Hi All,
          As community we are growing and adding new and exciting
          features to Storm and also we've ever growing connector which
          only helps in storm adoption. One thing we've severely lacking
          is system tests. There are unit tests which acts as
          integration tests to storm-core but there are no system wide
          integration tests that can spin up kafka nodes and storm ,
          hbase and run a topology that can make sure the data is
          getting into hbase.
         We at Hortonworks use our test topologies run some of these
         tests but this integration code to spin up vms or nodes is hard
         to share. In apache kafka we are using ducktape to write system
         tests so far its working out good. If there are any other
         frameworks you've in mind we can definitely take a look. But as
         a community we need start looking at
         https://github.com/confluentinc/ducktape or similar frameworks
         to start writing systems tests. Ducktape makes it  easy to run
         in a vm or any other infrastructure.  Appreciate any feedback
         on this.

Thanks,
Harsha

Re: [Discusson] Storm System Tests

Posted by Derek Dagit <de...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
> If we agree that it is something we want to implement here, I will create a JIRA ticket for this and get it done

+1

 --
Derek

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Additional relevant discussion happening here as well:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1179 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1179>

I also have my own set of utilities that I use for testing fault tolerance, etc. — the main feature is automated execution of commands over ssh and simulation of network partitions, etc. with ipchains.

If duck tape supports something similar, that would be great, especially when it comes to testing things like Nimbus HA.

-Taylor

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Paul Poulosky <pp...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
I would like to work on this as well.  We have some integration tests at Yahoo that we run regularly, but also depend on an internal testing framework, and also depend on internal deployment scripts, etc.
It would be good to get a set of true integration tests set up that can run in community.  We could then reduce the number of tests we run internally to truly test Yahoo specific integration needs.

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.

Posted by "封仲淹(纪君祥LongdaFeng)" <zh...@alibaba-inc.com>.
+1

------------------------------------------------------------------From:P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@gmail.com>Send Time:2015年11月6日(星期五) 12:12To:dev@storm.apache.org <de...@storm.apache.org>Subject:Re: [Discusson] Storm System Tests
+1
I think we should experiment with this. If it can serve us well, and we all agree, then we should consider adopting it.

From what I see:

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
+1
I think we should experiment with this. If it can serve us well, and we all agree, then we should consider adopting it.

From what I see:

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.

Posted by Hugo Da Cruz Louro <hl...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Bobby Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.