Posted to ecs-user@jakarta.apache.org by Yuji Kumasaka <Y....@ecsys.intec.co.jp> on 2001/05/07 10:30:10 UTC

What is ecs2 ?

Hi all.

There is a repository 'jakarta-ecs2'.
What is the jakarta-ecs2 ?

What is different between ecs-1.x. and ecs2 ?

Is there a reference or any document ?

--
Yuji Kumasaka  INTEC Communications, inc.

Re: What is ecs2 ?

Posted by Yuji Kumasaka <Y....@ecsys.intec.co.jp>.
Thanks Stephan.

I clealy understand.

--
Yuji Kumasaka  INTEC Communications, inc.

Re: What is ecs2 ?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <Ro...@appleonline.net>.

Stephan Nagy wrote:

> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>

> >Stephan Nagy wrote:
> >

> Doesn't matter to me got to download it either way :-).  If you put it
> up on apache.org just tell me when it's there and I'll go fetch it.

look in my home directory on apache.org for ecs.tar.gz.
apologies for taking so long to post it up.

this contains a directory structure which generates java source code from
xml-schema using texen.
(xml-schema is a kind of validation for xml which is equivalent to a DTD but which
is written in xml.)
there are three sample xml schema in the directory.
org.apache.xerces.domx.XGrammarWriter is a java application which will produce a
xml schema for an xml document which has a DTD. it's much easier to parse an
xml-schema than a dtd since a schema is just xml.

generate.xml is an ant build file that contains generation, compilation and
documentation tasks.
i can't test a .bat so you'll have to make do with a generate.sh to run ant
against generate.xml
the default task generates and compiles a family of ecs elements from a schema.

the generate.xml has a "name' property which you need to change to generate from
the different example schema.

look inside the template directory to find the template files. they're pretty easy
to read (thanks to velocity). the basic object model extracted from the schema
just gets attributes and subelements for each element. there's a lot more
information in there which could be used as well - for example type information.
the templates are more examples of how ecs could be generate rather than a serious
attempt to get close. the appendXXX methods are really a bit of a gimmick to prove
to myself that i can find subelements.

oh yes - the jars in the lib directory are specific versions which i know work. if
you've got different velocity or xerces versions in you classpath then you might
have problems.

- robert

Re: What is ecs2 ?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <Ro...@appleonline.net>.
Stephan Nagy wrote:

> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>

> >BTW has anyone had a chance to take a look at that international characters
> >patch i floated a while back?
> >
> Yeah, looked good to me.

if nobody's yells about problems it's caused, then i'll commit it sometime
soonish.

- robert

Re: What is ecs2 ?

Posted by Stephan Nagy <sn...@connectria.com>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

>Stephan Nagy wrote:
>
>>>what do you think?
>>>
>>Just send it to my email address directly, lets not bother the list with
>>a large attachment
>>

>ok
>
>>i'll review it and if approriate check it into cvs
>>someplace.
>>

>i'm a bit worried that it might be a bit large to send since i need to include
>some particular versions of some jars
>
>i could either mail you a large attachment or i could (thanks jon) upload it
>into a public directory in my account at apache.org
>- the choice is yours -

Doesn't matter to me got to download it either way :-).  If you put it
up on apache.org just tell me when it's there and I'll go fetch it.

>BTW has anyone had a chance to take a look at that international characters
>patch i floated a while back?

Yeah, looked good to me.

-stephan

Re: What is ecs2 ?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <Ro...@appleonline.net>.

into a public directory in my account at apache.org
- the choice is yours -

Re: What is ecs2 ?

Posted by Stephan Nagy <sn...@connectria.com>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> Stephan Nagy wrote:
>
>> Yuji Kumasaka wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> There is a repository 'jakarta-ecs2'.
>>> What is the jakarta-ecs2 ?
>>
>> jakarta-ecs2 is a complete rewrite of ecs, no attempt was made for
>> backward compatability it improves memory footprint, speed, and it
>> changes the semantics of the Element classes so that you can now extend
>> them.  It uses an Attribute class that you can pass around to other
>> elements so that you don't have to do the same setup work on the
>> elements.  It uses an event model for output, and generally fixes alot
>> of deficiencies that I had with ecs.
>>
>>> What is different between ecs-1.x. and ecs2 ?
>>
>> Aside from the above, ecs-1.x ismore or less 'complete' while ecs2 still
>> has alot of work remaining, also work is being done to make ecs2 fit the
>> javabean patterns so that you can assemble an ecs document inside the
>> ide of your choice.
>

> sounds cool!
>
> by a strange coincidence i've nearly tidied up that generation stuff
>
> i could either wrap it up into a gz and post it in an email (could be a
> little big since it contains jars)
> or i can upload it somewhere in CVS.
>
> what do you think?

Just send it to my email address directly, lets not bother the list with
a large attachment i'll review it and if approriate check it into cvs
someplace.

-stephan

Re: What is ecs2 ?

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 5/7/01 1:47 PM, "Robert Burrell Donkin" <Ro...@appleonline.net>
wrote:

> or i can upload it somewhere in CVS.

Stick it in CVS or put it in your account on apache.org.

Ie:

mkdir ~rdonkin/public_html

Don't post it to the list.

-jon

Re: What is ecs2 ?

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <Ro...@appleonline.net>.

Re: What is ecs2 ?

Posted by Stephan Nagy <sn...@connectria.com>.
Yuji Kumasaka wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> There is a repository 'jakarta-ecs2'.
> What is the jakarta-ecs2 ?

jakarta-ecs2 is a complete rewrite of ecs, no attempt was made for
backward compatability it improves memory footprint, speed, and it
changes the semantics of the Element classes so that you can now extend
them.  It uses an Attribute class that you can pass around to other
elements so that you don't have to do the same setup work on the
elements.  It uses an event model for output, and generally fixes alot
of deficiencies that I had with ecs.

> What is different between ecs-1.x. and ecs2 ?

Aside from the above, ecs-1.x ismore or less 'complete' while ecs2 still
has alot of work remaining, also work is being done to make ecs2 fit the
javabean patterns so that you can assemble an ecs document inside the
ide of your choice.

> Is there a reference or any document ?

Nope,  I need to throw something together and put it in the repository.

-stephan