Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by James Law <JL...@generic-software.com> on 2008/11/27 11:14:35 UTC

GPGPU and Tomcat

Hi

I've got little knowledge on the way Tomcat works behind the scene so
please excuse my ignorance.

Would Tomcat see any benefits from implementing gpgpu support in the way
that the distributed project "Folding" has seen?

I find GPGPU quite fascinating subject  and for what I can understand
tomcat could potentially see benefits from having massive amounts of
parallel processing power available.

Am I way off the mark or is this worth reading more into?

thanks

Search all of our current vacancies at www.generic-software.com

The information contained within this message is intended for the addressee
only and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the addressee, please delete this message and notify the sender - you
should not copy, distribute or disclose its contents to other parties.

Any images, documents, views or opinions expressed in this message are
those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of Generic
Software Consultants Ltd or any of its affiliates. No reliance may be
placed on this message without written confirmation from an authorised
company representative, and no actions should be taken based on its
contents.

Generic Software Consultants Ltd Registered in England No. 2830109 @
St. Andrews House, Caldecotte Lake Drive, Caldecotte Business Park,
Milton Keynes. MK7 8LE
Tel: 01908 278450
VAT Registered No: 608 6625 28

RE: GPGPU and Tomcat

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
> Frequently, webapps do relatively minor processing, with the
> brunt of the work being performed in a data base engine
> (usually running on a separate system).

To me, the database is one of the more interesting places to use GPUs.  Half a gigabyte of very fast RAM and some high speed simple processors is a good place to put some critical data that you want to search.  Because of the architecture of a typical GPU, it seems unlikely that it's the best place to process complex threaded code, even if (say) the JVM could make use of it.

                - Peter

RE: GPGPU and Tomcat

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: James Law [mailto:JLaw@generic-software.com]
> Subject: GPGPU and Tomcat
>
> Would Tomcat see any benefits from implementing gpgpu support
> in the way that the distributed project "Folding" has seen?

Tomcat is pure Java (except for the APR connector), so any such support would have to be in the JVM, not Tomcat itself.

> I find GPGPU quite fascinating subject  and for what I can understand
> tomcat could potentially see benefits from having massive amounts of
> parallel processing power available.

Whether or not any particular application would benefit depends on the characteristics of that application.  Frequently, webapps do relatively minor processing, with the brunt of the work being performed in a data base engine (usually running on a separate system).  The exception is handling SOAP or similar protocols that require extensive (and expensive) parsing.

Also, the server boxes Tomcat is typically run on in production environments tend to have very minimal GPUs, since they are not used directly by any GUI software.

 - Chuck