Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Palmer <bi...@yahoo.com> on 2005/07/09 21:43:59 UTC

Callback after Servlet.service() ?

I have started on a small utility/project to provide
both JTA and usefull Connection handling utilities
(i.e. close() :-) for tomcat, under a BSD licence.

My goal is to provide it as a utiltiy that can be
installed into common/lib.

I need a callback after every Http request is
processed. I understand that a servlet filter could
provide this functionality. However I do not want to
modify an application's *.war file. I want to be able
to use this on third party apps. Is there such a
mechanism in tomcat, say through server.xml or some
other public API?

Or perhaps a suggestion?

Thanks
Mark

RE: Callback after Servlet.service() ?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@MIT.EDU>.
Hey,
You could write a ServletRequestListener and include it in tomcat's
conf/web.xml.  But as always, be careful messing with other apps without
changing their WARs, it's generally a recipe for a disaster.

Yoav Shapira
System Design and Management Fellow
MIT Sloan School of Management / School of Engineering
Cambridge, MA USA
yoavsh@sloan.mit.edu / yoavs@computer.org