Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org> on 2016/10/07 09:46:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Set minimum JDK version to 1.5 for Cocoon 2.1

Hi all,
as recently noticed during the (unfortunately rejected) patch for
COCOON-2354 [1], it might make sense to upgrade the current minimum JDK
requirement for Cocoon 2.1 from 1.4 to 1.5, mainly to ease some upgrades
and help Cocoon 2.1 living in the modern world.

Besides 3rd part library updates, some work could be needed to upgrade
our Java code, so help would be appreciated.

WDYT?
Regards.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c03a2390ddd45b801a25e9946a492766936528700000f4f4fbe732d8@%3Cdev.cocoon.apache.org%3E

--
Francesco Chicchiricc�

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [DISCUSS] Set minimum JDK version to 1.5 for Cocoon 2.1

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 10/10/2016 19:28, Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> +1 for 1.5.
>
> If in the future we have the need to move to a more recent version (ie:
> because a patch), then we should discuss it.

Hi,
we *are* discussing exactly that.

At the moment we have a couple of patches on hold, for COCOON-2354 and
COCOON-2352.

Since it seems to me that there is enough consensus to move on, I will
open a new issue for setting the compatibility to JDK 1.5 (at least for
the moment) so that we can move on and accept the two patches above.

Regards.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <an...@apache.org>.
Hi folks,

+1 for 1.5.

If in the future we have the need to move to a more recent version (ie:
because a patch), then we should discuss it.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
FYI,
another applied patch that we should reject instead, because it requires
1.5:

https://builds.apache.org/job/Cocoon%202.1.X/111/console

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
Wow, did not expect this...
To be clear, are you proposing to move to 1.8 the binary AND source compatibility?

Even wilder: how would you see moving the 2_1_X branch to GIT with github integration, thus allowing us accepting pull requests?

We'll definitely need some help here...
Regards.

Il 8 ottobre 2016 06:43:06 CEST, David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> ha scritto:
>I agree. It should also enable better participation at both Cocoon
>and at Apache Forrest. There were also many supporting products
>that could then be updated. Lets go to 8.
>
>-David
>
>Insight 49 wrote:
>> +1, and I strongly agree with Alfred.
>>
>> Cocoon 2.1 is a good stable platform, but doesn't encourage new
>> participation, partly I suspect, because many people and businesses
>> run Java 8 or 7 (as you know, you get all kinds of build errors when
>> trying to build cocoon using those Java versions).
>>
>> If we can upgrade the code, classes and supporting jars, I'd
>recommend
>> Java version 7 or 8.
>>
>> As an example, the very successful Apache Solr search uses Java 8!
>>
>> "You will need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.8 or
>higher."
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Installing+Solr
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> On 10/7/16, Nathaniel, Alfred <Al...@six-group.com> wrote:
>> > +1 but I would go straight to 6, 7, or even 8.
>> > Past experience is that it is a real nuisance trying to support an
>ancient
>> > JDK no developer is actually using anymore.
>> >
>> > Cheers, Alfred.

Member at The Apache Software Foundation Syncope, Cocoon, Olingo, CXF, OpenJPA, PonyMail

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Insight 49 <in...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Nathaniel, Alfred" <Al...@six-group.com>.
[...]

The content of this e-mail is intended only for the confidential use of the person addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this email immediately.
Thank you.