Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/08 08:36:58 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Setting Up Mentoring

Hi Everyone

I've created a page on the wiki to try and organise the mentoring. We have a
list of people who volunteered to be mentors, so if you want to be a mentor,
then please feel free to add your name ot this list.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Mentors

I'm very conscious of the fact that we dont want to overload the mentors so
I suggest that we initially focus the mentoring on the framework
re-factoring work. This is a specific area where we know there is a lot of
complicated and difficult code that could be hard to understand.

My suggestion would be that anyone who has a re-factor task could be paired
up with a mentor to help them with it in case they encounter problems. What
do people think about this idea?

I've also been looking at different ways in which the mentoring could take
place. We need somewhere that is easy to use, and if one mentor isnt
available, a question could perhaps be managed by someone else. We could
make use of our existing IRC channel, Skype or Hipchat.

I think our IRC channel is underused which shows that people prefer not to
use it much. Skype is also an  option but out of the three I think Hipchat
could be a good to look at. It is the main communication method  used by our
ASF Infra team if you need to talk to anyone urgently and from experience I
know it works really well. We already have a Hipchat OFBiz room setup so
could easily implement something similar to ASF Infra with our mentors or
even create a group where our committers could hangout and quickly contact
each other.

In the past we talked about having a committers space where they could come
together, get to know each other and collaborate more, but never set
anything up so this could also be an opportunity to do that. I will send out
some invitations to our committers to join the Hipchat OFBiz room so you can
take a look around and see what you think.

As usual I'm happy to get feedback on any of the points raised.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [DISCUSSION] Setting Up Mentoring

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
There are 2 current Skype channels that are actively in use.
One (9 members) is specifically designated for the framework.
  The general channel has 35 participants.

Ron
On 08/06/2016 4:36 AM, Sharan-F wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I've created a page on the wiki to try and organise the mentoring. We have a
> list of people who volunteered to be mentors, so if you want to be a mentor,
> then please feel free to add your name ot this list.
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz+Mentors
>
> I'm very conscious of the fact that we dont want to overload the mentors so
> I suggest that we initially focus the mentoring on the framework
> re-factoring work. This is a specific area where we know there is a lot of
> complicated and difficult code that could be hard to understand.
>
> My suggestion would be that anyone who has a re-factor task could be paired
> up with a mentor to help them with it in case they encounter problems. What
> do people think about this idea?
>
> I've also been looking at different ways in which the mentoring could take
> place. We need somewhere that is easy to use, and if one mentor isnt
> available, a question could perhaps be managed by someone else. We could
> make use of our existing IRC channel, Skype or Hipchat.
>
> I think our IRC channel is underused which shows that people prefer not to
> use it much. Skype is also an  option but out of the three I think Hipchat
> could be a good to look at. It is the main communication method  used by our
> ASF Infra team if you need to talk to anyone urgently and from experience I
> know it works really well. We already have a Hipchat OFBiz room setup so
> could easily implement something similar to ASF Infra with our mentors or
> even create a group where our committers could hangout and quickly contact
> each other.
>
> In the past we talked about having a committers space where they could come
> together, get to know each other and collaborate more, but never set
> anything up so this could also be an opportunity to do that. I will send out
> some invitations to our committers to join the Hipchat OFBiz room so you can
> take a look around and see what you think.
>
> As usual I'm happy to get feedback on any of the points raised.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: [DISCUSSION] Setting Up Mentoring

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I use HipChat to meet the infra team for a year now and I very like it.

I did not know we (OFBiz) had a HipChat room :-o , I will volunteer as mentor

Thanks Sharan!

Jacques

Le 08/06/2016  10:36, Sharan-F a crit :

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

A quick update - I've sent out the Hipchat invitations and see people have
already responded and are in the Hipchat room. As mentioned please take a
look around. We have the OFBiz room, and also private chat. I think it also
works on a range of devices too.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Great Initiative, I'm already signed up and I look forward to helping
anyone interested.