Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by James Davidson <du...@x180.com> on 1999/07/20 09:04:35 UTC

[VOTE] Creation of Documentation List

Several people have expressed interest in having a documentation list.
I'm proposing that we call this list:

	docs@jakarta.apache.org

This would superceed the current Jakarta4All doc list.

--
James Davidson
duncan@eng.sun.com                http://java.sun.com/products/servlet

Re: [VOTE] Creation of Documentation List

Posted by Alfredo de Diego <ad...@wol.es>.
+1

Greetings to all jakarta members.

"If you want that something be done, do it yourself"

Re: [VOTE] Creation of Documentation List

Posted by Luc Saint-Elie <ls...@imaginet.fr>.
Malcom

If you're under windows, you may want to try XMLspy 2.5 (http://www.xmlspy.com)

Le 19:23 22/07/99 +0100, Malcolm Dinsmore a écrit:
>Stefano,
>
>OK I can see that we need to look forward,  so having the constitution
>in xml is a good idea.  However we need to be able to read it.  What
>reader do you recommend.
>
>Regards
>
>Malcolm Dinsmore
>
>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > FYI, see attached a early working draft for the "The Apache Jakarta
> > Project Constitution".

| Luc Saint-Elie                                 |
| 53, rue Caulaincourt                           |
| 75018  Paris France                            |
| Tel: 01 42 52 09 62 / 06 12 90 19 65           |
| email : team@interpasnet.com                   |
|  Java Server Side  Open Source technologies    |
|       http://www.interpasnet.com/JSS           |

RE: [VOTE] Creation of Documentation List

Posted by Clay Atkins <ca...@spcmg.com>.
I got an error when trying to read this XML file.
Couldn't find -//Apache//Documentation DTD//Simple//EN

Malcolm Dinsmore wrote:

BTW, you'll find attached a much more readable version of the document
(which the Jarball removed) and the DTD inlined (it should be made
PUBLIC after review)

Re: [VOTE] Creation of Documentation List

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Malcolm Dinsmore wrote:

> Stefano,
>
> OK I can see that we need to look forward,  so having the constitution
> in xml is a good idea.  However we need to be able to read it.  What
> reader do you recommend.

I don't use XML editors for XML but simple text editors since I don't
like the tree structure every single editor uses (I haven't tried the
new SoftQuad product which seems kind of nice).

BTW, you'll find attached a much more readable version of the document
(which the Jarball removed) and the DTD inlined (it should be made
PUBLIC after review)

James, should we put it on the web site somewhere for review?

--
Stefano Mazzocchi       A language that doesn't affect the way you
                      think about programming, is not worth knowing.

Re: [VOTE] Creation of Documentation List

Posted by Malcolm Dinsmore <ma...@dial.pipex.com>.
Stefano,

Posted by Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com>.
+1

(what if I'd said plus twenty?)

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com>  TeleDynamics Communications Inc
Business Telecom Services : Internet Consulting : http://www.teledyn.com

[VOTE] Creation of Documentation List

Posted by Tom Clarke <tc...@agency.com>.
+1

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
James Davidson wrote:

> > FYI, see attached a early working draft for the "The Apache Jakarta
> > Project Constitution".
>
> Hey stefano -- you XML geek you :) -- Um, can you do a plain text render
> of the doc (72 chars wide.. :) before dropping it on the list. As much
> as structured documentation is great, I sure hate reading through it on
> an email attachment..

Uh, sorry about that.

> .duncan
>
> >         <item name="Release Testing">After a new release is built, colloquially termed a tarball/zipball/jarball depending on the compression used, it must be tested
> Comment about this right here -- please don't use jarballs in this
> context. A jar file is something that can contain classes or be placed
> on the classpath. Yes, we shouldn't have done "src.jar" in JDK 1.2,
> hopefully it will be changed. The JAR tools can easily create .zip files
> or what not. This stance comes from the core Technical Review Committee
> at Sun and is not just my own opinion.
>
> Because of this official stance, I don't think that we want to promote
> the use of jarballs.

Cool. No prob. Just remove that line.

Posted by James Davidson <du...@x180.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
James Davidson wrote:

> Several people have expressed interest in having a documentation list.
> I'm proposing that we call this list:
>
>         docs@jakarta.apache.org
>
> This would superceed the current Jakarta4All doc list.

+1

FYI, see attached a early working draft for the "The Apache Jakarta
Project Constitution".

Please, let's work on this first so that we have some guidelines people
can use to behave naturally in an apache context. This is by no means
the final constitution. Anything can be removed, added, changed, fixed
and corrected. Everything but the apache idea behind it :)

Note: I'm using a sort of very simple documentation DTD that I normally
use for my articles/web-pages/docs. I will create the XSL stylesheet
once we have the document stabilized so that we can make HTML and PDF
copies of it using Cocoon.

Posted by Troy Poppe <tr...@usite.net>.
+1

Posted by Sean Shanny <ss...@tripod.com>.
+1

Posted by Edas Pazera <ed...@xmission.com>.
+1

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com>.
James Davidson wrote:

> Several people have expressed interest in having a documentation list.
> I'm proposing that we call this list:
>
>         docs@jakarta.apache.org
>
> This would superceed the current Jakarta4All doc list.

+1 (for those who have been wondering what this bit of shorthand means,
check out James's explanatory post, or the more complete explanation on
the Java Apache web site (http://java.apache.org).

Rationale:  Any list that is an "official" part of the Jakarta project
should really have "@jakarta.apache.org" at the end -- otherwise, there
is too much potential for fragmentation of information, and confusion for
newbies about where to go.

Craig

[VOTE] Creation of Documentation List

Posted by Jim Richards <gr...@cyber4.org>.
+1

I belive this is the way to vote ... it does seem sensible.

----
You are the simulacrum of my dreams
 and the signifier of my desires

Mr Grumpy ... come and visit his home!
	http://www.cyber4.org/members/grumpy/index.html

RE: [VOTE] Creation of Documentation List

Posted by Meishing Wang <me...@pobox.com>.
+1

Meishing Wang

Posted by Thomas Oesterlie <to...@pvv.ntnu.no>.