Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Joel Trunick <Jo...@SmartPrice.com> on 2004/04/22 16:48:03 UTC

Tapestry Features / Skinning

I wish I could vote on the Tapestry wiki wishlist. If I could, I would
vote for:
* Better support for hot deploy,
* Allow use of "id" attribute instead of "jwcid", so that templates are
truly pure HTML.

I also just added skinning, the functionality of which I think could be
added to the Tapestry base in just a few hours. I added it to our
project, but I did it in such a way as to not touch the base code,
because I wasn't that comfortable with Tapestry at the time. The way I
did it was to reuse the country code (I didn't need it) to be used as a
skin name. It largely consisted of returning a massaged locale object
from the page, and setting appropriate stuff in the Tapestry Servlet.

Here's how I would propose it be implemented in the Tapestry base:

1) Have a Skinnable interface with one method, public String getSkin().
2) If skinning is wanted you implement Skinnable on your Visit class.
3) When Tapestry searches for the .html file based on country code and
language, it adds a search for skin. A file such as Home_skin.html would
be found (or just Home_skin_US.html, etc).

Its already doing this search for locale, why not just add skin?
Comments?

Joel

Re: Tapestry Features / Skinning

Posted by Robert <ca...@linuxmail.org>.
Bug/Feature 28548 posted

I have requested the namespace option...

It is in the hands of HLS now.  :-)

Re: Tapestry Features / Skinning

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Apr 22, 2004, at 10:48 AM, Joel Trunick wrote:
> I also just added skinning, the functionality of which I think could be
> added to the Tapestry base in just a few hours. I added it to our
> project, but I did it in such a way as to not touch the base code,
> because I wasn't that comfortable with Tapestry at the time. The way I
> did it was to reuse the country code (I didn't need it) to be used as a
> skin name. It largely consisted of returning a massaged locale object
> from the page, and setting appropriate stuff in the Tapestry Servlet.
>
> Here's how I would propose it be implemented in the Tapestry base:
>
> 1) Have a Skinnable interface with one method, public String getSkin().
> 2) If skinning is wanted you implement Skinnable on your Visit class.
> 3) When Tapestry searches for the .html file based on country code and
> language, it adds a search for skin. A file such as Home_skin.html
> would
> be found (or just Home_skin_US.html, etc).
>
> Its already doing this search for locale, why not just add skin?
> Comments?

I don't think mandating anything about Visit for skinning is a good
idea.  Suppose skinning is used to have multiple "companies" with
different logos/colors from a single application server?  Perhaps tying
the chosen skin to the requested domain name makes sense in this
configuration without mandating a session be created for every user.

I agree that skinning is a huge perk - and can be tackled along with
static site generation too - they seem connected to me.

	Erik