Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Phase Web and Multimedia <ma...@phase.ws> on 2002/11/12 20:45:54 UTC

nested:hidden body to set value?

I just recently tried to set up a nested:hidden form element (as an
experiment) to use its body to specify the value of the form element. Of
course it failed, i assume because this is not possible. Here is an example
code:

tag sample:
<nested:hidden property="foo">It would be cool if this would be the form
value</nested:hidden>

output sample:
<input type="hidden" value="It would be cool if this would be the form
value">

My inquiry is... why isn't this possible? It would be very convenient.
Especially if i want to populate the value with a dynamic value produced by
a jstl tag like <c:out>. Either that or when are nested tags going to be el
(expression language) enabled. Nested Tags have made my coding dreams come
true. But el enabled nested tags would be blissful. But please don't forget
my first question of "Shoudn't the tag body be the form value?".

Brandon Goodin
Phase Web and Multimedia
P (406) 862-2245
F (406) 862-0354
mail@phase.ws
http://www.phase.ws

Re: nested:hidden body to set value?

Posted by Arron Bates <st...@keyboardmonkey.com>.
This is one of those fun times where I get to say "it's not in the
original tag, therefore it's not in the nested one"... :)

"should the tag body be the value?... yes, probably. But I doubt such
additions will be made to the tags before the next Struts release.

El nested tags... apparently it's a simple addition to the original tags
like the nested addition, only problem would be that it's yet another
library, unless we just leave the functionality in there as a default.

Spare cycles of clustered dead brain cells are also trying to get around
the ability to get a general use of the nesting concept so it can get
into  JSTL or whatever, but it's hard to see a general application.
Anyways, that's another story...

Arron.