Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Bob Song <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/17 11:32:01 UTC

Issues on deployment and customization.

Hi, all.
Currently, I'm working with eclispe to developing serveral portlets in one web application.
When a portlet is modified, I just pack all the application to a war file and put it in to deploy path. It works well.
But when a portlet is added to portlet.xml,  I found that sometimes it doesn't work (And sometimes it works...).
And in Portlet Life Cycle Manager, I couldn't stop, undepoly or delete portlets.

So I think my way of deploying and re-deploying portlets is not good enough. Sometimes I need to re-install jetspeed2.1 .
I'm wondering what's the more efficient way to do it, and what should be taken care of in deploying.
By the way, I'm not familiar with Maven or Ant.

Another issue is on customization.

I have written a layout decoration by copying tigris and modifying on it.
And I wanna modify the content in the marco #PageActionBar(), but I couldn't find it in decorator-marcos.vm.
Where could I find it?

Thanks in advance!

Bob Song
2007-04-17

Re: Issues on deployment and customization.

Posted by Alessandro Spinuso <sp...@knmi.nl>.
Well

I am using eclipse and pluto 1.0.2 to develop and debug portlets before
deploying them in jetspeed or in wsrp4j

here you can find how I set up my development environement

http://axelspin.freeflux.net/blog/archive/2007/02/23/portlet-debugging-within-eclipse.html

hope that helps

Re: Re: Issues on deployment and customization.

Posted by Bob Song <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks very much to you, and also to Alessandro Spinuso.

I'm planning to write a portlet to  deploy war-packed portlet applications, just like the manager in tomcat.
I will ask for suggestions if some handicaps occur.

Bob Song
2007-04-19

On Apr 17, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Bob Song wrote:

> Hi, all.
> Currently, I'm working with eclispe to developing serveral portlets
> in one web application.
> When a portlet is modified, I just pack all the application to a
> war file and put it in to deploy path. It works well.
> But when a portlet is added to portlet.xml,  I found that sometimes
> it doesn't work (And sometimes it works...).
> And in Portlet Life Cycle Manager, I couldn't stop, undepoly or
> delete portlets.
>
> So I think my way of deploying and re-deploying portlets is not
> good enough. Sometimes I need to re-install jetspeed2.1 .
> I'm wondering what's the more efficient way to do it, and what
> should be taken care of in deploying.
> By the way, I'm not familiar with Maven or Ant.

I do the same using the WTP export WAR function
It works great for me, don't see that problem
Could you send a stack trace , look in logs/jetspeed.log for errors,
or the console
Something must be wrong, like a typo in your portlet.xml, check logs
Also check Tomcat logs for errors in deployment such as class loader
errors

> Another issue is on customization.
>
> I have written a layout decoration by copying tigris and modifying
> on it.
> And I wanna modify the content in the marco #PageActionBar(), but I
> couldn't find it in decorator-marcos.vm.
> Where could I find it?

That one is in WEB-INF/jetspeed_macros.vm

You can search the source code project for strings in eclipse

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Bob Song
> 2007-04-17

David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
[office] +01 707 773-4646
[mobile] +01 707 529 9194

Re: Issues on deployment and customization.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
On Apr 17, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Bob Song wrote:

> Hi, all.
> Currently, I'm working with eclispe to developing serveral portlets
> in one web application.
> When a portlet is modified, I just pack all the application to a
> war file and put it in to deploy path. It works well.
> But when a portlet is added to portlet.xml,  I found that sometimes
> it doesn't work (And sometimes it works...).
> And in Portlet Life Cycle Manager, I couldn't stop, undepoly or
> delete portlets.
>
> So I think my way of deploying and re-deploying portlets is not
> good enough. Sometimes I need to re-install jetspeed2.1 .
> I'm wondering what's the more efficient way to do it, and what
> should be taken care of in deploying.
> By the way, I'm not familiar with Maven or Ant.

I do the same using the WTP export WAR function
It works great for me, don't see that problem
Could you send a stack trace , look in logs/jetspeed.log for errors,
or the console
Something must be wrong, like a typo in your portlet.xml, check logs
Also check Tomcat logs for errors in deployment such as class loader
errors

> Another issue is on customization.
>
> I have written a layout decoration by copying tigris and modifying
> on it.
> And I wanna modify the content in the marco #PageActionBar(), but I
> couldn't find it in decorator-marcos.vm.
> Where could I find it?

That one is in WEB-INF/jetspeed_macros.vm

You can search the source code project for strings in eclipse

> Thanks in advance!
>
> Bob Song
> 2007-04-17

David Sean Taylor