Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Rishabh Bajpai <r_...@lycos.com> on 2003/03/14 05:44:31 UTC

Range of Score Values?

Hi,

I am getting a long value between 1(included) and 0(excluded-I think), and it makes sense to me logically as well - I wouldnt know what a value of greater than 1 would mean, and why should a term that has a score of 0 be returned in the first place! But just to be sure, I wanted to check the range of values one can get for the Score?

Also from a user experience perspective, how would one represent this score on the page rendered. The value itself makes little sense to the enduser - so if I try to convert it to a precentage (of what?), or star, etc... which is a better option?! any suggestions, pointers...

-rb

Re: Range of Score Values?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@lucene.com>.
Rishabh Bajpai wrote:
> I am getting a long value between 1(included) and 0(excluded-I think), and it makes sense to me logically as well - I wouldnt know what a value of greater than 1 would mean, and why should a term that has a score of 0 be returned in the first place! But just to be sure, I wanted to check the range of values one can get for the Score?

Scores passed to a HitCollector or in a TopDocs are typically between 0
and 1, but are not guaranteed to be.  Scores from Hits object are forced
to be between 0 and 1.

> Also from a user experience perspective, how would one represent this score on the page rendered. The value itself makes little sense to the enduser - so if I try to convert it to a precentage (of what?), or star, etc... which is a better option?! any suggestions, pointers...

Scores are only designed to be a means for ranking, and not to have any
other meaning.  Thus end users should be shown ranked results, not scores.

Doug