Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com> on 2007/07/02 11:44:22 UTC

Slightly OT: Which CMS?

Dear list,

among other things it's now my job to look out for CMS.

I've asked auntie Google, however, browsing all hits that Google
showed up would lead straight into my retirement (and I'm not *that*
old...)

What I've seen so far is, that most CMSs are based on PHP - something
which is giving me slight headaches.

I've looked for Java-based CMSs being able to run on Tomcat or JBoss,
however, seems there are only a few available.

Recommendation for a CMS would be:

- able to somehow import our old content (static HTML, Java-Script)
- would be great if it doesn't take 1/2 year training until you can
work with the CMS (like Typo3)
- open source & developer-community would be a REAL BIG PLUS
- should be able to integrate our dynamic content (Servlets, JSP)
- dynamic content is protected by Tomcat Formbased AA - would like
either to reuse this or somehow integrate it with the CMS's own
security paradigma

I know it's quite a whishlist, but does anybody here have a suggestion
where I should point my webbrowser to?

We might even consider to pay for a CMS if the benefit compared to any
free CMS is making up for the licence-fees.

And, last not least:

In case we consider a PHP-based CMS (i.e. Joomla) - is PHP still an
security-issue?
I appreciate you giving some valued oppinions on that, however, I
don't want to start a flamewar on PHP ;)

TIA

Gregor
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2

Re: Slightly OT: Which CMS?

Posted by ben short <be...@benshort.co.uk>.
I asked auntie Google for 'java cms' and she found this [1]. She even
gave me cucumber sandwiches :)

[1] http://java-source.net/open-source/content-managment-systems

Re: Slightly OT: Which CMS?

Posted by Sebastian Himberger <se...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

we're using OpenCms (http://www.opencms.org) for many customers. It's a
nice open source CMS solution and run's well with tomcat. Although it
may be a bit hard to get into development it has a very intuitive user
interface. I'll try to elaborate a bit on your requirements:

> able to somehow import our old content (static HTML, Java-Script)

There's an import functionality for static content available

> would be great if it doesn't take 1/2 year training until you can
work with the CMS (like Typo3)

The UI is very Windows-Explorer Like but it requires some office/windows
knowledge to grasp the concepts.

> open source & developer-community would be a REAL BIG PLUS

It's open source but mainly developed by a company named Alkacon. But
it's not as community driven as Apache projects.

> should be able to integrate our dynamic content (Servlets, JSP)

You can write JSPs inside the CMS. Although there are some limitations
if you want to include files inside the CMS. You then have to use a
special tag <cms:include/>.

> dynamic content is protected by Tomcat Formbased AA - would like

You can set ACLs on content and JSPs

But of course: You have to evaluate the CMS yourself. What works fine
for us may be horrible for you ;)

Regarding PHP: IMHO it is more difficult to make PHP secure but i think
this mainly depends on the used CMS.

best regards,
Sebastian

Re: Slightly OT: Which CMS?

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
Guys,

thanks a lot for the input!

Cheers

Re: Slightly OT: Which CMS?

Posted by Martin Heiden <ma...@devk.de>.
Gregor,

  have a look at www.cmsmatrix.org

  there are several java open source cms. I would give alfresco a
  chance (www.alfresco.org), but it may be overkill.

  You could try Daisy (www.daisycms.org) (it's more a wiki system but
  quite interesting) or Apache Lenya (lenya.apache.org). Both are XML
  based systems.

  Or a JSP based approach like www.opencms.org and www.magnolia.info.

  If you consider PHP CMS systems too, try www.drupal.org!

regards,

  Martin

am Montag, 2. Juli 2007 um 11:44 schrieben Sie: