Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> on 2003/04/04 18:13:52 UTC

RE: [mp2.0] W2000, Apache 2.0.43 + mod_perl 1.99_09 does not star t

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Melchior, Matthijs wrote:

> [...]

The current mod_perl-2 package we have I did test on a W2000
machine (and XP), with an ActivePerl 6xx build - it worked for
some simple things, but seems to run into problems with more
complicated stuff (for some definition of more complicated).
The fact that you're not even able to start it suggests there may
be an incompatibility between your Apache version (or some other
library) and the one that the mod_perl-2 package was compiled
against, although the versions seemed to match.

But before you put in a lot of effort into resolving this, I'd
encourage considering an upgrade to ActivePerl 8xx. Upgrading is
a major step, but if the main concern is this issue with
mod_perl, then an upgrade will definitely help in general -
perl-5.8 has improved threading support over perl-5.6.1, among
other things, and mod_perl 2 seems to get caught up in some
issues with perl-5.6.1 that have been resolved in perl-5.8. A
major concern with upgrading though is the availability of ppm
packages - ActiveState's 8xx repository isn't as complete as
their 6xx one. They're aware of this problem, and are working on
an automated build system which hopefully will address this soon.

--
best regards,
randy

Re: [mp2.0] W2000, Apache 2.0.43 + mod_perl 1.99_09 does not star t

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Randy Kobes wrote:
[...]
>>if (Apache::Build::REQUIRE_ITHREADS()) {
>>     unless (Apache::Build::HAS_ITHREADS()) {
>>	die "your system requires an ithreads enabled Perl";
>>     }
>>     unless ($] >= 5.008) {
>>         die "perl 5.8 is required for threaded mpms"
>>     }
>>}
>>
>>or at least we should print a big warning to start with.
>

> Hi Stas,
>    I'd be comfortable with this - whenever I try running a recent
> mod_perl 2 with perl-5.6.1, it crashes on all but the simplest
> stuff. So the fact that it builds OK is misleading to a user.
> There is a warning at present if one uses 5.6 on Win32, but this
> is quite brief, and may not get noticed - I think things are
> mature enough now to demand 5.8 for building. There's some Win32
> binary users who aren't able to upgrade to ActivePerl 8xx
> (perl-5.8.0), as ActiveState's 8xx ppm package repository isn't
> as complete as their 6xx repository, but for these I could just
> keep the present (older) mod_perl 2 ppm 6xx package in there
> until it's no longer needed.

Certainly. I've committed the change that requires 5.8+ for win32.

Re: [mp2.0] W2000, Apache 2.0.43 + mod_perl 1.99_09 does not star t

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
[...]