Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Michael Hanl <ha...@ids-mannheim.de> on 2013/06/05 17:19:05 UTC

PasswordAuthenticator

Hello,

Based on several examples online I was trying to use the
PasswordAuthenticator on our project nodes.
Although setting it up with the version 1.2.5 of cassandra was not that
difficult, I cannot seem to get access neither in cqlsh nor in the CLI.
Having a look at the filesystem and the schema tables (nodetool) that
the respective column families have been created with the startup of
cassandra, but there is no default user, which of course I need to setup
my own users.

I tried several repairs with the nodetool already, but obviously when
there are no data in the column family, repair is kind of useless.

I hope someone has an idea (besides writing my own authentiction
interface implementation).

Kind regards,

Michael Hanl

Re: PasswordAuthenticator

Posted by Michal Michalski <mi...@opera.com>.
Don't you have a default "cassandra" user in system_auth.users?

cqlsh> SELECT * from system_auth.users ;

  name      | super
  cassandra |  True

It should be created on startup and you should see this in your logs:

"PasswordAuthenticator created default user cassandra"

However, if it fails, you should see this:

"Skipped default superuser setup: some nodes were not ready"

Do you have any of these messages in your log?

M.