Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl> on 2009/11/19 21:45:21 UTC

integration of jxta endpoint

How do we integrate large chunks of external (ASF) software? The
software for jxta is licensed:

/*
  *
  * Copyright 2003 Warren Strange, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
  *
  * The contents of this release are subject to the Sun(TM)
  * Community Source License, v 3.0/Jini(TM) Technology Specific
  * Attachment, v 1.0 (the "License"); you may not use this
  * release except in compliance with the License.  You may
  * obtain a copy of the License at
  * http://wwws.sun.com/software/jini/licensing/SCSL3_JiniTSA1.html.
  * Software distributed under the License is distributed on an
  * "AS IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express
  * or implied.  See the License for the specific language
  * governing rights and limitations under the License.
  *
  */

Any ideas? Is SCSL3 an acceptable license, or should i ask Warren for a
relicense under ASF license. He writes: "I would be very happy to donate
the code." so i guess he is willing to relicense it.

Before integrating i would suggest a SVN branch for the integration.
Gives me time to iron out any wrinkles.

I'm not sure if Warrens implementation will provide us with an
implementation ClientAuthentication.YES and Confidentiality constraints,
but we can use his code as a starting point, i also would like to delay
finalisation of the serialization of the JxtaEndpoint, so this could be
one the the more unstable apis.

Gr. Sim

Quality Consultancy Group b.v., Leiderdorp, Kvk Leiden: 28088397

Re: integration of jxta endpoint

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> How do we integrate large chunks of external (ASF) software? The
> software for jxta is licensed:
>
> /*
>  *
>  * Copyright 2003 Warren Strange, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
>  *
>  * The contents of this release are subject to the Sun(TM)
>  * Community Source License, v 3.0/Jini(TM) Technology Specific
>  * Attachment, v 1.0 (the "License"); you may not use this
>  * release except in compliance with the License.  You may
>  * obtain a copy of the License at
>  * http://wwws.sun.com/software/jini/licensing/SCSL3_JiniTSA1.html.
>  * Software distributed under the License is distributed on an
>  * "AS IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express
>  * or implied.  See the License for the specific language
>  * governing rights and limitations under the License.
>  *
>  */
>
> Any ideas? Is SCSL3 an acceptable license, or should i ask Warren for
> a relicense under ASF license. He writes: "I would be very happy to
> donate the code." so i guess he is willing to relicense it.
>
> Before integrating i would suggest a SVN branch for the integration.
> Gives me time to iron out any wrinkles.
Once we release we can use the current trunk, if we stuff it up we can
always fix it, that way we'll be working together.  I'm working on some
unrelated stuff, but it enables us to assist each other with failling
tests etc.

I've found it quite useful to create junit tests using the existing
integration test code (copy paste), to check functionality hasn't
changed during refactoring.

> I'm not sure if Warrens implementation will provide us with an
> implementation ClientAuthentication.YES and Confidentiality
> constraints, but we can use his code as a starting point, i also would
> like to delay finalisation of the serialization of the JxtaEndpoint,
> so this could be one the the more unstable apis.
Perhaps we should have an annotation for unstable packages? Or prefix
the package with org.apache.river.unstable  then once it's stabilised
enough we can rename it.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> How do we integrate large chunks of external (ASF) software? The
> software for jxta is licensed:
>
> /*
>  *
>  * Copyright 2003 Warren Strange, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
>  *
>  * The contents of this release are subject to the Sun(TM)
>  * Community Source License, v 3.0/Jini(TM) Technology Specific
>  * Attachment, v 1.0 (the "License"); you may not use this
>  * release except in compliance with the License.  You may
>  * obtain a copy of the License at
>  * http://wwws.sun.com/software/jini/licensing/SCSL3_JiniTSA1.html.
>  * Software distributed under the License is distributed on an
>  * "AS IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express
>  * or implied.  See the License for the specific language
>  * governing rights and limitations under the License.
>  *
>  */
>
> Any ideas? Is SCSL3 an acceptable license, or should i ask Warren for
> a relicense under ASF license. He writes: "I would be very happy to
> donate the code." so i guess he is willing to relicense it.

We definitely would need Warren to re-license it under ASF License on
this occasion, there's a good page about licenses at Apache
http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html

Cheers,

Peter.