Posted to ftpserver-dev@incubator.apache.org by Benny Pedersen <BP...@jysk.com> on 2007/02/23 13:12:36 UTC

cannot build ftpserver from trunk

Hello

I'm trying to get the apache FtpServer up and running and have some
problems. I have never used Maven, so maybe I have just overlooked
something.

Here is what i have done so far:

Downloaded Maven 2.0.5 and added <maven-home>\bin to PATH

C:\src>svn checkout
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ftpserver/trunk ftpserver

cd c:\src\ftpserver

mvn -U -e test
(output from unit tests)

After the section 'Apache Incubator FtpServer Admin GUI' i get the
following error:
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: No Java test
frameworks
found

After Googl'ing a little bit around, I added the following entry ind the
ftpserver/pom.xml:

      <plugin>
         <configuration>
           <skip>true</skip>
         </configuration>
       </plugin>

And now the test was successfull!

I then did a mvn -U -e install wich also completed successfully.

Finally, i ran

mvn -U -e assembly

wich gave me the following trace:

org.apache.maven.BuildFailureException: Invalid task 'assembly': you
must specif
y a valid lifecycle phase, or a goal in the format plugin:goal or
pluginGroupId:
pluginArtifactId:pluginVersion:goal

Now i'm stuck. I don't know what maven i trying to tell me.

Any help is appreciated.

OS: Windows XP
Java: JDK 1.5.0_10

Regards,

Benny Pedersen.

Re: cannot build ftpserver from trunk

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Benny Pedersen wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to get the apache FtpServer up and running and have some
> problems. I have never used Maven, so maybe I have just overlooked
> something.
>
> Here is what i have done so far:
>

> Downloaded Maven 2.0.5 and added <maven-home>\bin to PATH
>
> C:\src>svn checkout
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ftpserver/trunk ftpserver
>
> cd c:\src\ftpserver
>
> mvn -U -e test
> (output from unit tests)
>
> After the section 'Apache Incubator FtpServer Admin GUI' i get the
> following error:
> org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: No Java test
> frameworks
> found

I belive this might be due to a bug in the Maven Surefire plugin. I've
added to our POM to specify the latest released version of Surefire to
make sure you get the right version when building. Could you please try
again with the latest from trunk? Also, what Maven version are you using?

> After Googl'ing a little bit around, I added the following entry ind the
> ftpserver/pom.xml:
>
>       <plugin>
>          <groupId>org.apache.maven.plugins</groupId>
>          <artifactId>maven-surefire-plugin</artifactId>
>          <configuration>
>            <skip>true</skip>
>          </configuration>
>        </plugin>
>
> And now the test was successfull!

That would disable all the unit tests which we don't really want :-)

> I then did a mvn -U -e install wich also completed successfully.
>
> Finally, i ran
>
> mvn -U -e assembly
>
> wich gave me the following trace:
>
> org.apache.maven.BuildFailureException: Invalid task 'assembly': you
> must specif
> y a valid lifecycle phase, or a goal in the format plugin:goal or
> pluginGroupId:
> pluginArtifactId:pluginVersion:goal
>
> Now i'm stuck. I don't know what maven i trying to tell me.

That me writing incorrect documentation (I'm guessing you got this from
our site). I've now updated the documentation. Sorry for the confusion:
http://cwiki.apache.org/FTPSERVER/building.html

Please ask further if this doesn't help you!

/niklas