Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/21 11:00:34 UTC

Re: Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list

There is a flag in the mail notification to turn of diff's in those emails.
So theoretically those emails don't have to include not even code fragments
of GPL licensed code.
So those emails could become what they initially should have been: Some
simple notification of activity.

We are actually also not interested in what exactly has changed or
archiving external activities.
If anybody is interested in those projects he can catch up with those
involved there.

All we are interested is a "heads up" there is something going on as we
provide integration APIs that 3th parties are using.

There are also a number of more 3th party projects that send those pings.
Basically all projects hosted at apache-extras.org are configured to send a
ping to our list when there was a SVN commit.
http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/search?q=openmeetings

It is argueable if an Apache developer list is the right place to have such
a "news aggregator" for activities around OpenMeetings.
There might be easy ways to resolve such a conflict. Possibly for example a
Google Group Mailing list. "openmeetings-apache-extras" or something like
that. It does in fact not make a difference, just another mailing list to
monitor :)
It is just a bit an imaginary line that we draw here from my point of view.

Sebastian

2013/3/21 Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>

> IMO, it's inappropriate content for a dev@ list, which is
> a place to *discuss* development, not an "archive" for
> external development, legal issues notwithstanding.
>
> On Mar 20, 2013, at 7:16 AM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
> > I would be uncomfortable as well. If project members want to follow
> external projects that's great, but duplicating all of an external
> project's messages onto the public dev@ list is... not a best practice,
> to say the least.
> >
> > Personally, I'd have to presume (for the average user) that everything
> coming from that other GPL licensed project is GPL.  Thus, this seems to
> violate the principle of least surprise and the fact that GPL is Category
> X, which means that end users should be able to use Apache projects and
> products without having to worry that GPL code is included - either in the
> download, or in other places on our websites or mailing lists.
> >
> > - Shane
> >
> > On 3/19/2013 6:51 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> >> It's come to my attention that the openmeetings project has recently
> >> subscribed their dev list to the commit messages of a Google Code hosted
> >> project under the GPL. I asked why and was told " those updates are
> >> interesting for our integration API." There is some overlap in
> >> committers but the project communities do seem to be distinct other than
> >> this cross-posting of commits.
> >>
> >> I'm quite uncomfortable about this as it means that GPL code is passing
> >> through our lists (and being archived) without any clear indication of
> >> its legal status. What I'm not sure about is whether my discomfort is
> >> because of an irrational fear of someone inadvertently using GPL code
> >> without knowing it or whether that is, in fact, a rational fear.
> >>
> >> Advice please?
> >>
> >> Ross
> >>

> >> --
> >> Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
> >> Programme Leader (Open Development)
> >> OpenDirective http://opendirective.com

Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock
http://www.webbase-design.de
http://www.wagner-sebastian.com
seba.wagner@gmail.com

Re: Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
already switched all projects to this group

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
great :)

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

seba.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> say
> > the

> everything
> seems
> > Category X,
> > in the

> recently

> > passing
> > of
> is
> code

> > We have had a similar discussion in the ComDev related to Apache
> > Extras [1], and the consensus at that time was that external projects,
> > particular the ones that are not compatible with AL2, should be
> > managed separately, which means that we should not encourage PMCs to
> > have their official mailing lists receiving e-mails from other
> > non-Apache GPL projects. If individuals are interested on what's going
> > on with external projects, they should subscribe to these projects

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

seba.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> say
> > the

> everything
> seems
> > Category X,
> > in the

> recently

> > passing
> > of
> is
> code

> > We have had a similar discussion in the ComDev related to Apache
> > Extras [1], and the consensus at that time was that external projects,
> > particular the ones that are not compatible with AL2, should be
> > managed separately, which means that we should not encourage PMCs to
> > have their official mailing lists receiving e-mails from other
> > non-Apache GPL projects. If individuals are interested on what's going
> > on with external projects, they should subscribe to these projects

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Ok,

so our concens is to disable those notifications.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
OK, thanks
Haven't read this :(

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Commit messages from GPL project on ASF list

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.