Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/02 23:02:29 UTC

[all] Jira reporting

Using the commons-nightly/jira-email.vm swizzle script, I've got a
report for the Commons projects that lets us see the status of things.
Here's the output:

http://people.apache.org/~bayard/jira-report-for-commons.txt

The aim is to provide us with information on where projects are
release-wise and where we are in terms of answering new issues. Some
of our components aren't there - for example Jelly which has 77
unversioned issues and Attributes/Discovery which are ready to be
retired. Some of the ones there should probably be removed for having
too many unversioned issues.

I was pondering whether this would have value to be emailed to
commons-dev once a week?

Any thoughts?

Hen

Re: [pipeline] Any working examples

Posted by Kris Nuttycombe <Kr...@noaa.gov>.
At present, the best publicly available working example can be found in
the unit test source code. Take a look at
org.apache.commons.pipeline.config.DigesterPipelineFactoryTest and the
associated file test_conf.xml in the test resources. I have received a
number of requests for better examples and will work to get a more
detailed, walkthrough-style example online in the next week or so.

Kris

Mark Proctor wrote:
> Are there any end to end working examples of commons pipeline?
>
> Mark

Kris Nuttycombe
Associate Scientist II
Enterprise Data Systems
National Geophysical Data Center/NOAA
(303) 497-6337
Kris.Nuttycombe@noaa.gov

[pipeline] Any working examples

Posted by Mark Proctor <li...@markproctor.com>.

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
That sounds nice, but than the vote needs to be on general :)
I would be an favor of that..

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 1/7/07, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
> Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> > Henri Yandell <flamefew <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> The spam issue is a tricky decision. Sometimes I turn off the
> >> notifications to then do a lot of changes, other times I let the spam
> >> hit the list because moving an issue into a version is a decision. If
> >> there were a lot of them, I'd be tempted to send an email to the list
> >> saying "Moving these issues into XXX" and then do a bulk move with the
> >> send-email option turned off.
> >>
> >> That'd be a nice JIRA feature - bulk-email notification rather than
> >> individual notification for each issue.
> >
> > Another way to let it be less bugging would be a splitting of this mailing list
> > into multiple ones. No, not project specific - I know you love the
> > cross-pollination :) But splitting it into
> > commons-cvs|svn|scm@jakarta.apache.org (many projects have their own list for
> > commit mails), commons-jira|issues|bugs@jakarta.apache.org (don't know a project
> > having this, but would love to see this, especially because of the topic we are
> > actually talking about) and the actual dev list for discussions. This would
> > finally make it possible to read current heavy traffic lists like geronimo-dev
> > and this one on mailing list archives. At the moment I often get lost in the
> > huge amount of mails and I refrain from subscribing to both metioned lists.
>
> Maven uses both commits@maven.a.o and issues@maven.a.o

As does Struts.

+1 for JIRA --> issues@ and wiki changes --> commits@

Niall

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heinicke <at> gmx.de> writes:

> ... splitting it into commons-cvs|svn|scm <at> jakarta.apache.org,
> commons-jira|issues|bugs <at> jakarta.apache.org and the actual dev list for
> discussions ...

I just wanted to ping on this one [1]. There seems to be much agreement about
splitting the list [2]. So is there any progress?

Jörg

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=116813323403039&w=4

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/5/07, Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:

> > > I think that is a good thing as it means someone is looking at that
> > > issue each release and deciding that it won't go in that release. If
> > > it keeps getting punted all the time then someone can ask if it's ever
> > > going to happen.
> >
> > This is exactly why we moved to something like what Hen is proposing for
> > Struts. We had oodles of issues just sitting there with no indication of
> > when, if ever, they were likely to be fixed, and no indication of whether
> > anyone was committed to looking at them. Once you start versioning the
> > issues, you get the beginnings of a roadmap rather than just a bucket of
> > issues.
>
> Ok, that's a point. Cocoon does indeed suffer from this as well. But I guess in
> Cocoon changing this would just not work (or end in 300 "issue version
> re-addressed" mails per release). For the maintenance branch the development is
> much less targeted as it is more or less only project-driven, i.e. an issues
> that a committer needs on his current project gets handled rapidly. Other issues
> are mostly done on demand or on request. For littler projects or projects with
> less chaotic project management (which I like much though :)) the above might
> indeed be useful.

Yeah, for a larger project it'd be more painful. I think you'd want to
be thinking about more defined process - this one is an intentionally
lightweight hack that seems to work with little buy in.

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 1/3/07, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/3/07, Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Henri Yandell <flamefew <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > The aim is to provide us with information on where projects are
> > > release-wise and where we are in terms of answering new issues. Some
> > > of our components aren't there - for example Jelly which has 77
> > > unversioned issues and Attributes/Discovery which are ready to be
> > > retired. Some of the ones there should probably be removed for having
> > > too many unversioned issues.
> >
> > I wonder what's the problem with unversioned issues. It simply says "in
> the
> > future". Any exact targetting for unresolved issues will lead to "this
> issues
> > hasn't made it into the latest release, we try to get it into the next
> one"
> > mails polluting the mailing lists without nearly any additional value.
>
> I think that is a good thing as it means someone is looking at that
> issue each release and deciding that it won't go in that release. If
> it keeps getting punted all the time then someone can ask if it's ever
> going to happen.

This is exactly why we moved to something like what Hen is proposing for
Struts. We had oodles of issues just sitting there with no indication of
when, if ever, they were likely to be fixed, and no indication of whether
anyone was committed to looking at them. Once you start versioning the
issues, you get the beginnings of a roadmap rather than just a bucket of
issues.

--
Martin Cooper

Lang has a good example of an 'in the future'

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/3/07, Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Henri Yandell <flamefew <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The aim is to provide us with information on where projects are
> > release-wise and where we are in terms of answering new issues. Some
> > of our components aren't there - for example Jelly which has 77
> > unversioned issues and Attributes/Discovery which are ready to be
> > retired. Some of the ones there should probably be removed for having
> > too many unversioned issues.
>
> I wonder what's the problem with unversioned issues. It simply says "in the
> future". Any exact targetting for unresolved issues will lead to "this issues
> hasn't made it into the latest release, we try to get it into the next one"
> mails polluting the mailing lists without nearly any additional value.

I think that is a good thing as it means someone is looking at that
issue each release and deciding that it won't go in that release. If
it keeps getting punted all the time then someone can ask if it's ever
going to happen. Lang has a good example of an 'in the future'

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: [all] Jira reporting

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 1/2/07, Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Henri Yandell wrote:
>> > Using the commons-nightly/jira-email.vm swizzle script, I've got a
>> > report for the Commons projects that lets us see the status of things.
>> > Here's the output:
>> >
>> > http://people.apache.org/~bayard/jira-report-for-commons.txt
>> >
>> > The aim is to provide us with information on where projects are
>> > release-wise and where we are in terms of answering new issues. Some
>> > of our components aren't there - for example Jelly which has 77
>> > unversioned issues and Attributes/Discovery which are ready to be
>> > retired. Some of the ones there should probably be removed for having
>> > too many unversioned issues.
>> >
>> > I was pondering whether this would have value to be emailed to
>> > commons-dev once a week?
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?
>> >
>> > Hen
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>> Just need some help with interpretation:
>>
>> Commons BeanUtils   <----- Component (got that one)
>>    1.8.0 - 19 / 79
>>      ^     ^    ^
>>      |     |    |
>> ----+     |    |
>> version   |    |
>>            |    |
>> ----------+    |
>> solved issues  |
>> in that vers.? |
>> ---------------+
>> total scheduled issues for that version?
>
> Explaining it would have been a stunning idea :)
>
> You got it right. Version, resolved, total. Using resolved seemed more
> natural than unresolved. After that I leave it up to human
> interpretation - it's unlikely that "2/2" means that a release should
> happen, but "31/32" should mean it's time to release soon.

And any component with a high number of solved issues deserves a
release, no matter what the total says, say like 40/300.

> I'd like to include a bit of info in the 'Unresolved" list on the
> number of comments (and unique comment authors), but that's not
> currently implemented (either in Swizzle or JIRA not sure where it's
> missing), so I need to go figure out why not.

One thing that I have seen in reports like this one over in Maven land
is the number votes. This is meant to indicate the users wish as to what
issues to deal with first. See this one for the Maven plugins:

http://repo1.maven.org/reports/plugins/plugin-issues.txt

The numbers are:
- total number of votes to the left of the plugin name
- number of votes for the particular issue, to the left of each issue

This one is not sorted alphabetically, but by descending number of votes
per plugin.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: [all] Jira reporting