Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com> on 2007/02/19 20:12:20 UTC

Problems with Chunking

Hi All,

I did some debugging over the weekend with a user and ASP.NET seems to have
problems if chunking isn't on. Here is the response that comes when it is
turned on:

HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Server: ASP.NET <http://asp.net/> Development Server/8.0.0.0
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 07:55:29 GMT
Connection: Close

It works fine however if chunking is turned off. There are other servers as
well that don't work with chunking, which is why we ultimately turned off
chunking.

I want to suggest that either

a) We turn off chunking by default.
b) We have some threshold for chunking. For instance, first we stream up to
100K to a byte[] buffer. If there is still more to write, we write the
buffer and the rest of the request as a chunked request. Otherwise it is
written as a non-chunked request.
I'm not really a fan of either approach, but I'm more of a fan of those
options than I am of dealing with this problem repeatedly on the mailing
list. Thoughts?

- Dan
--
Dan Diephouse