Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de> on 2017/03/06 17:30:55 UTC

fwd: What it feels like to be an open-source maintainer

What it feels like to be an open-source maintainer

https://nolanlawson.com/2017/03/05/what-it-feels-like-to-be-an-open-source-maintainer/

Re: What it feels like to be an open-source maintainer

Posted by Peter Murray-Rust <pm...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>
wrote:

> What it feels like to be an open-source maintainer
>
> https://nolanlawson.com/2017/03/05/what-it-feels-like-to-be-
> an-open-source-maintainer/

Thanks Tilman for an excellent tip, but much more for the work that you and
others do here. I know what it's like - have been developing Open Source
for 20 years - and the maintenance is a huge effort. (Today I have spent
most of the day revising pom version numbers, triaging issues, obsolete
tests, etc.). I rely 100% on PDFBox and am close to releasing a tools to
extract tables from certain types of documents. (I haven't even got around
to migrating to PDFBox 2 :-). I also hope to release a diagram analyser in
the fairly near future. (Of course help is always welcomed :-)

The commentary on the article is good - it is highly supportive and urges
maintainers not to be overwhelmed by unattended issues. A long list of
issues is a tribute to how valuable the software is.

P.

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069