Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2003/10/05 06:29:47 UTC

[RFE] An updating mechanism

Hi Forresters!

Currenlty, in cocoon was raised a problem with updating the websites:

Forrest really excels in website generation, but lacks of a mechanism of
updating an already generated site.

Every time we run "forrest site", it generated all the files. I was
thinking in a mechanism for the builder to check the generated files vs.
the sources of the file just before decides if it will generate it again.
The idea is not new. Every compiler do this. Forrest can be seen as a
"website compiler". And in that way we can do it smarter.

What you think?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: [RFE] An updating mechanism

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Hi Forresters!
>
>Currenlty, in cocoon was raised a problem with updating the websites:
>
>Forrest really excels in website generation, but lacks of a mechanism of
>updating an already generated site.
>
>Every time we run "forrest site", it generated all the files. I was
>thinking in a mechanism for the builder to check the generated files vs.
>the sources of the file just before decides if it will generate it again.
>The idea is not new. Every compiler do this. Forrest can be seen as a
>"website compiler". And in that way we can do it smarter.

I have implemented something like this. Unlike a compiler, you cannot
find out whether to generate a page without first building the pipeline,
in order to generate the cache key, and thus find out whether the page
has changed.

Try my latest change (see my other message: CLI: Checksum tests).

Regards, Upayavira