Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick Edwards <ni...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/18 01:45:24 UTC

[users@httpd] 2.4 mime magic gives 100 pc utilization

As subject says, we are experiencing 100% utilization of some 2.4.4 servers

this always results in error from mod_mime_magic
it happens on ISO files as well - the biggest issueon mirror server,
but an example is
mod_mime_magic: read failed from uncompress of /ftpmirrors/bind/mkdir

tested this myself from home, and lynx reports waiting for content,
just sits there forever, whilst cpu on server goes into overdive

never had this problem on earlier versions.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: 2.4 mime magic gives 100 pc utilization

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Nick Edwards <ni...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> bump:
>> and we also found it on a cgi file
>>
>> original:
>> As subject says, we are experiencing 100% utilization of some 2.4.4
>> servers
>>
>> this always results in error from mod_mime_magic
>> it happens on ISO files as well - the biggest issue on mirror server,
>> but an example is
>> mod_mime_magic: read failed from uncompress of /ftpmirrors/bind/mkdir
>>
>> tested this myself from home, and lynx reports waiting for content,
>> just sits there forever, whilst cpu on server goes into overdive
>>
>> never had this problem on earlier versions.
>>

> why is mod_mime_magic being used at all?  it is known to be a dog
>
> is a mime type missing from your isos that was present in your pre-2.4
> setup?

sorry about the confusing wording

is a configured mime type that applies to your iso files missing in your
2.4 setup, but present in your pre-2.4 setup?

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/

Re: [users@httpd] Re: 2.4 mime magic gives 100 pc utilization

Posted by Nick Edwards <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 4/26/13, Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Nick Edwards
> <ni...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> bump:
>> and we also found it on a cgi file
>>
>> original:
>> As subject says, we are experiencing 100% utilization of some 2.4.4
>> servers
>>
>> this always results in error from mod_mime_magic
>> it happens on ISO files as well - the biggest issue on mirror server,
>> but an example is
>> mod_mime_magic: read failed from uncompress of /ftpmirrors/bind/mkdir
>>
>> tested this myself from home, and lynx reports waiting for content,
>> just sits there forever, whilst cpu on server goes into overdive
>>
>> never had this problem on earlier versions.
>>

> why is mod_mime_magic being used at all?  it is known to be a dog

We build with all modules compiled in, so it must be using it automagically

> is a mime type missing from your isos that was present in your pre-2.4
> setup?  was the path to the magic file commented out or missing from your

shouldnt be, looks all the same.

perhaps we need to recompile using the without option for mime magic

Nik

Re: [users@httpd] Re: 2.4 mime magic gives 100 pc utilization

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.