Posted to users@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2016/01/02 07:46:12 UTC

[ANN] Apache Isis version 1.11.0 Released

The Apache Isis team is pleased to announce the release of Apache Isis
v1.11.0.

The main focus for this release is on the REST API and on view models using
JAXB:

* the Restful Objects viewer now supports simplified representations
intended to make it easier to write custom Javascript (and other) clients
that consume the REST API; these are obtained using the HTTP Accept header.
There is also support for Swagger spec files so that the REST API can be
more easily explored and tested.  Separately, the x-ro-follow-links
capability for RO spec representations is now supported.

* JAXB-annotated classes are now recognised as view models; these also
enable the contents collections to be part of the view model’s state
(previously only view model properties were recognised). The new
UrlEncodingService allows long URLs (for view models) to be converted into
shorter URLs; this also allows the URL to optionally be encrypted.

* The release also includes improved control for domain events (these can
now be suppressed if required) , and a new category of UI events (so that
titles, icons and CSS classes can be provided by event bus subscribers).

Full release notes are available on the Apache Isis website at [1].  Please
also read the migration notes [2].

You can access this release directly from the Maven central repo [3], or
download the release and build it from
source [4].

Enjoy!

--The Apache Isis team

[1] http://isis.apache.org/release-notes.html#r1.11.0
[2]
http://isis.apache.org/migration-notes.html#_migration-notes_1.10.0-to-1.11.0
[3] http://search.maven.org
[4] http://isis.apache.org/downloads.html

Re: [ANN] Apache Isis version 1.11.0 Released

Posted by Stephen Cameron <st...@gmail.com>.
A comment inline:

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 2 January 2016 at 10:31, Stephen Cameron <st...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Good news.
> >
> > I am experimenting with the new JAXB support, but starting from a
> provided
> > XML Schema document. I've come across one simple suggestion, which is to
> > take the @MemberOrder#sequence ordering of the ViewModel instead from the
> > @XmlType#propOrder sequence ordering generated by JAXB.
> >

> good idea; I've raised ISIS-1289 [1] for this.
>

> > Irrespective of that small limitation, now I assume you can take an
> > external schema, generate Java classes, add some @PersistenceCapable
> > annotations for data persistence and bingo you have an simple
> > data-management application. Essentially what I was dreaming of some
> months
> > back :)
> >

> Hmm, not sure about that.
>
> Fundamentally domain objects are either persistent entities
> (@PersistenceCapable) or they are view models (either @ViewModel,
> @DomainObject(nature=VIEW_MODEL) or, now, @XmlRootElement).... and they
> can't, or aren't intended to, be both.
>
> When the framework recreates domain objects from the OID there is an
> if/else; just checking the code [2] it will treat the domain object as a
> view model even if annotated with @PersistenceCapable. It's state will then
> be recreated from the encoded information within the OID itself.
>
> I realise that I don't fully understand the use case you want to be able to
> support here.  In general though I think that treating JAXB view models as
> entities is a bad idea, because retaining backward compatibility to
> possible clients of the on-the-wire format would constrain - probably too
> tightly - the corresponding implementation details when used directly as a
> persistent entity.
>
> Then maybe its not wise to borrow the @XmlRootNode attribute in this way?
Its JAXB meaning is quite different to the new use you are making of it.
The use of spreadsheet data via viewmodels (that I've not used as yet) is
different, its both input & output isn't it? I am playing devils advocate a
bit. Is there another way to flag as a ViewModel to not restrict the
options in the future?

Posted by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk>.

Posted by Stephen Cameron <st...@gmail.com>.
Good news.

Posted by Cesar Lugo <ce...@sisorg.com.mx>.
Congratulations, great release, particularly helpful when building client applications using Isis RO web services!

Cesar.