Posted to user@struts.apache.org by me...@assetmanagement.natexis.fr on 2003/06/24 13:18:11 UTC

Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: very strange errors (no collectionfound series)

Dirk,
my paramForm scope is request.
When the error occurs, it occurs for all users.
And the only way to handle error is to restart tomcat,
I'm modifying the code to have much more logs when errors occurs.
I have one question. Do you thing better to go through ActionForm
for sending objects to jsp.
That's what I'm doing everytime but I'm getting more and more doubtful
with this way of doing.
In that case, I could simply put the paramList in the request and iterate
over
it in the jsp  instead of setting it in the actionForm and so ...

What is your opinion about that ?

Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>
24/06/2003 12:43
Veuillez répondre à "Struts Users Mailing List"

        cc :
        Objet : Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: very strange errors (no collection
found series)

Hallo Meissa,

if the error occurs. Does it occur thereafter for all users, or only
for the user who gets the error. If this user logs out and then logs
in, does the error reappear? Is the only way to handle the error a
restart of tomcat?

Also, what is the scope of your "paramForm"?

Regards,
Dirk

mSanf> I'm trying to find out why the paramList attribute of
mSanf> my param could be null.
mSanf> Here is the execute method of my action.
mSanf> ActionForward forward = null;

mSanf>                 initUser(request);
mSanf>                 HttpSession session = request.getSession(false);
mSanf>                 UserView userView = (UserView)
session.getAttribute("userView");

mSanf>                 ArrayList paramList =null;

mSanf>                 BrowseParamHandler handler = new
BrowseParamHandler();
mSanf>                 try
mSanf>                 {

mSanf>                         paramList =
handler.executeGetAllParams(userView);
mSanf>                 }
mSanf>                 catch (TechnicalException e)
mSanf>                 {
mSanf>                         System.out.println(e.getMessage() );

mSanf>                 }

mSanf>                 ((ParamForm) form).setParamList(paramList);

mSanf>                 forward = mapping.findForward("success");

mSanf>                 return forward;

mSanf> As you can see in bold, the param list is initialize to null.

mSanf> But I can't imagine it to be null because the
executegetAllParams(...)

mSanf> always returns values
mSanf> when the bug occurs.
mSanf> Do you think I have to inititialize the list ...

mSanf> Meissa

mSanf> Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>
mSanf> 24/06/2003 11:25
mSanf> Veuillez répondre à "Struts Users Mailing List"

mSanf>         Pour :  "Struts Users Mailing List"
<st...@jakarta.apache.org>
mSanf>         cc :

mSanf>         Objet : Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: very strange errors (no
collection found series)

mSanf> Hallo Meissa,

mSanf> what I found out is:

mSanf> The exception you get is raised in the iterate tag of struts (line
mSanf> 281, IterateTag.java). The reason is, as you can guess, that your
mSanf> property "paramList" from "paramForm" is null. So the question is,
why
mSanf> is it null? Are there any circumstances possible under which this
can
mSanf> happen?

mSanf> Regards,
mSanf> Dirk

mSanf> ***************************************************************

mSanf>> Dirk,

mSanf>> here is the sensible extract of the jsp

mSanf>>       <logic:iterate name="paramForm" property="paramList"

id="paramView">>
mSanf>>                 <bean:define id="index" name="paramView"

mSanf> property="index" type="java.lang.String"/>

mSanf>>                 <bean:define id="codeParam" name="paramView"

mSanf> property="code" type="java.lang.String"/>

mSanf>>                 <tr class="<%= (Integer.parseInt(index)%2 ==

mSanf> 0)?"impaire":"paire"%>">
mSanf>>                         <%

mSanf>>                                 String

mSanf>>

mSanf>
updateUrl="/paramInitUpdate.do?task=initUpdateParam&codeParam="+codeParam;

mSanf>>                         %>

mSanf>>                         <td width="25%">

mSanf>>                         <html:link

mSanf> action="<%=editUrl%>"><bean:write name="paramView"

property="label"/>></html:link>
mSanf>>                         </td>

mSanf>>                         <td><bean:write name="paramView"

property="media"/>></td>
mSanf>>                         <td><bean:write name="paramView"

mSanf> property="registrationDate"/></td>

mSanf>>                         <td><bean:write name="paramView"

property="statut"/>></td>
mSanf>>                         <td width="50">

mSanf>>                                         <html:link

mSanf> action="<%=updateUrl%>"><html:img srcKey="image.modify"
alt="Modifier"

border="0"/>></html:link>

mSanf>>                         </td>

mSanf>>                 </tr>
mSanf>>          </logic:iterate>

mSanf>> A simple logic iterate tag .  I'm iterating the paramList
attribute

mSanf> which

mSanf>> is an ArrayList property of the"paramForm" that is put in the

mSanf> request

mSanf>> from the action.

mSanf>> I know I could simply put the paramList in the request directly...
mSanf>> Do you think there is something I'm doing wrong.

mSanf>> Meissa

mSanf>> Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>
mSanf>> 24/06/2003 09:55
mSanf>> Veuillez répondre à "Struts Users Mailing List"

mSanf>>         Pour :  "Struts Users Mailing List"

mSanf> <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
mSanf>>         cc :

mSanf>>         Objet : Re: Réf. : Re: very strange errors (no collection

mSanf> found series)

mSanf>> Hallo Meissa,

mSanf>> can you send the part of your jsp with the iterate tag? This would
mSanf>> help.

mSanf>> Regards,
mSanf>> Dirk

mSanf>> ***************************************************************

mSanf>>> Dirk,

mSanf>>> I'm using tomcat 4.1.18 and i have asked tomcat user list before.
mSanf>>> It seem like the problem is caused by a logic iterate tag ...
mSanf>>> But till now, I haven't found the real cause.
mSanf>>> Meissa

mSanf>>> Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>
mSanf>>> 24/06/2003 08:45
mSanf>>> Veuillez ripondre ` "Struts Users Mailing List"

mSanf>>>         Pour :  "Struts Users Mailing List"

mSanf>> <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
mSanf>>>         cc :

mSanf>>>         Objet : Re: very strange errors (no collection found

mSanf>> series)

mSanf>>> Hallo Meissa,

mSanf>>> what version of tomcat are you using. Maybe you should also ask

mSanf> the
mSanf>>> tomcat list?

mSanf>>> Regards,
mSanf>>> Dirk

mSanf>>> ***************************************************************

mSanf>>>> I'm having a very strange behaviour of my application.
mSanf>>>> It has been tested in pre-production environnement and
mSanf>>>> everything worked fine.

mSanf>>>> When in production, it works but no fine at all !

mSanf>>>> The application works well for about five or six days and

mSanf>>>> when we try to access some pages, we get a no No collection
found

mSanf>>> exception.

mSanf>>>> when we restart Tomcat(without making any change to the code)

mSanf>> every

mSanf>>> thing

mSanf>>>> works fine again.

mSanf>>>> here is an extract of the exception:

mSanf>>>> javax.servlet.ServletException: No collection found
mSanf>>>>         at

mSanf>>>>

mSanf>>>

mSanf>>

mSanf>
org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:530)
mSanf>>>>         at

mSanf>>>>

mSanf>>>

mSanf>>

mSanf>
org.apache.jsp.listParamVL_jsp._jspService(listParamVL_jsp.java:374)
mSanf>>>>         at

mSanf>>>>

mSanf>>
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:137)
mSanf>>>>         at

mSanf>>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)

mSanf>>>> As you can see it, the probleme seems to come from the

mSanf>>> listParamVL_jsp.

mSanf>>>> when I open the generated servlet file, at line 374, I have the

mSanf>>> code below

mSanf>>>> :

mSanf>>>>  if (_jspxFactory != null)

mSanf>>> _jspxFactory.releasePageContext(pageContext);

mSanf>>>> I really don't know what to do to determine the bug origin.

mSanf>>>> If someone has an idea or a suggestion, I would greatly

mSanf> appreciate

mSanf>>> it.

mSanf>>>> Meissa

mSanf>>>> L'integrite de ce message n'etant pas assuree sur internet,

mSanf>> Natexis
mSanf>>>> Banques Populaires ne peut etre tenu responsable de
mSanf>>>> son contenu. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est
mSanf>>>> interdite. Si vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci

mSanf> de

mSanf>>> le
mSanf>>>> detruire et d'avertir l'expediteur.

mSanf>>>> The integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed
mSanf>>>> on the Internet. Natexis Banques Populaires can not therefore be
mSanf>>>> considered responsible for the contents.Any unauthorized use or

mSanf>>> dissemination is prohibited.
mSanf>>>> If you are not the intended recipient of this message, then

mSanf> please

mSanf>>> delete it and

mSanf>>>> notify the sender.

mSanf>>>

mSanf>>

mSanf>
mSanf>>> For additional commands, e-mail:

mSanf>> struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

[...]

mSanf>> interdite. Si vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de

mSanf> le
mSanf>> detruire et d'avertir l'expediteur.

mSanf>> The integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed
mSanf>> on the Internet. Natexis Banques Populaires can not therefore be
mSanf>> considered responsible for the contents.Any unauthorized use or

mSanf> dissemination is prohibited.
mSanf>> If you are not the intended recipient of this message, then please

mSanf> delete it and

mSanf>> notify the sender.

mSanf>
mSanf> For additional commands, e-mail:
struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

mSanf> L'integrite de ce message n'etant pas assuree sur internet, Natexis
mSanf> Banques Populaires ne peut etre tenu responsable de
mSanf> son contenu. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est
mSanf> interdite. Si vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de
le
mSanf> detruire et d'avertir l'expediteur.

mSanf> The integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed
mSanf> on the Internet. Natexis Banques Populaires can not therefore be
mSanf> considered responsible for the contents.Any unauthorized use or
dissemination is prohibited.
mSanf> If you are not the intended recipient of this message, then please
delete it and

mSanf> notify the sender.

L'integrite de ce message n'etant pas assuree sur internet, Natexis
Banques Populaires ne peut etre tenu responsable de
son contenu. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est
interdite. Si vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de le
detruire et d'avertir l'expediteur.

The integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed
on the Internet. Natexis Banques Populaires can not therefore be
considered responsible for the contents.Any unauthorized use or dissemination is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message, then please delete it and
notify the sender.

Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: very strange errors (no collection found series)

Posted by Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>.
Hallo Meissa,

I don't consider it a problem or bad practice to use an ActionForm for
what you are doing (I am using the same approach). I cannot see, that
the direct way will change something. But why not give it a try.

Is it possible that you have some race conditions in your execute
method? You know, that your action has to be thread safe. And if your
TechnicalException is thrown, why don't you forward to an error page?

Regards,
Dirk

mSanf> Dirk,
mSanf> my paramForm scope is request.
mSanf> When the error occurs, it occurs for all users.
mSanf> And the only way to handle error is to restart tomcat,
mSanf> I'm modifying the code to have much more logs when errors occurs.
mSanf> I have one question. Do you thing better to go through ActionForm
mSanf> for sending objects to jsp.
mSanf> That's what I'm doing everytime but I'm getting more and more doubtful
mSanf> with this way of doing.
mSanf> In that case, I could simply put the paramList in the request and iterate

mSanf> over
mSanf> it in the jsp  instead of setting it in the actionForm and so ...

mSanf> What is your opinion about that ?

mSanf> Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>
mSanf> 24/06/2003 12:43
mSanf> Veuillez répondre à "Struts Users Mailing List"

mSanf>         cc :

mSanf>         Objet : Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: very strange errors (no collection

mSanf> found series)

mSanf> Hallo Meissa,

mSanf> if the error occurs. Does it occur thereafter for all users, or only
mSanf> for the user who gets the error. If this user logs out and then logs
mSanf> in, does the error reappear? Is the only way to handle the error a
mSanf> restart of tomcat?

mSanf> Also, what is the scope of your "paramForm"?

mSanf> Regards,
mSanf> Dirk

mSanf> ***************************************************************

mSanf>> I'm trying to find out why the paramList attribute of
mSanf>> my param could be null.
mSanf>> Here is the execute method of my action.
mSanf>> ActionForward forward = null;

mSanf>>                 initUser(request);
mSanf>>                 HttpSession session = request.getSession(false);
mSanf>>                 UserView userView = (UserView)

mSanf> session.getAttribute("userView");

mSanf>>                 ArrayList paramList =null;

mSanf>>                 BrowseParamHandler handler = new

mSanf> BrowseParamHandler();
mSanf>>                 try
mSanf>>                 {

mSanf>>                         paramList =

mSanf> handler.executeGetAllParams(userView);
mSanf>>                 }
mSanf>>                 catch (TechnicalException e)
mSanf>>                 {
mSanf>>                         System.out.println(e.getMessage() );

mSanf>>                 }

mSanf>>                 ((ParamForm) form).setParamList(paramList);

mSanf>>                 forward = mapping.findForward("success");

mSanf>>                 return forward;

mSanf>> As you can see in bold, the param list is initialize to null.

mSanf>> But I can't imagine it to be null because the

mSanf> executegetAllParams(...)

mSanf>> always returns values
mSanf>> when the bug occurs.
mSanf>> Do you think I have to inititialize the list ...

mSanf>> Meissa

mSanf>> Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>
mSanf>> 24/06/2003 11:25
mSanf>> Veuillez répondre à "Struts Users Mailing List"

mSanf>>         Pour :  "Struts Users Mailing List"

mSanf> <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
mSanf>>         cc :

mSanf>>         Objet : Re: Réf. : Re: Réf. : Re: very strange errors (no

mSanf> collection found series)

mSanf>> Hallo Meissa,

mSanf>> what I found out is:

mSanf>> The exception you get is raised in the iterate tag of struts (line
mSanf>> 281, IterateTag.java). The reason is, as you can guess, that your
mSanf>> property "paramList" from "paramForm" is null. So the question is,

mSanf> why
mSanf>> is it null? Are there any circumstances possible under which this

mSanf> can
[...]

mSanf> alt="Modifier"

border="0"/>>></html:link>

mSanf>>>                         </td>

mSanf>>>                 </tr>
mSanf>>>          </logic:iterate>

mSanf>>> A simple logic iterate tag .  I'm iterating the paramList

mSanf> attribute

mSanf>> which

mSanf>>> is an ArrayList property of the"paramForm" that is put in the

mSanf>> request

mSanf>>> from the action.

mSanf>>> I know I could simply put the paramList in the request directly...
mSanf>>> Do you think there is something I'm doing wrong.

mSanf>>> Meissa

mSanf>>> Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>
mSanf>>> 24/06/2003 09:55
[...]

mSanf> found

[...]

mSanf>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:

mSanf> For additional commands, e-mail: struts-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

mSanf> L'integrite de ce message n'etant pas assuree sur internet, Natexis
mSanf> Banques Populaires ne peut etre tenu responsable de
mSanf> son contenu. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisee est
mSanf> interdite. Si vous n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci de le
mSanf> detruire et d'avertir l'expediteur.

mSanf> The integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed
mSanf> on the Internet. Natexis Banques Populaires can not therefore be
mSanf> considered responsible for the contents.Any unauthorized use or dissemination is prohibited.
mSanf> If you are not the intended recipient of this message, then please delete it and

mSanf> notify the sender.