Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Michael Stanley <mi...@hotpop.com> on 2002/01/17 05:09:38 UTC

DefaultCookieParser null pointer exception

In my code I use the following to obtain a CookieParser

data.getCookies ()

I get the following error when Client Browser have cookies disabled -

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.turbine.util.parser.DefaultCookieParser.setRunData(DefaultCoo
kieParser.java:156)
        at
org.apache.turbine.services.rundata.DefaultTurbineRunData.getCookies(Def
aultTurbineRunData.java:518)
        at
org.mitre.connectme.web.modules.screens.Default.doBuildTemplate(Default.
java:47)

Default.java:47 is where I call data.getCookies ()

Is there a way to test if a client has cookies enabled before calling
data.getCookies?  Is this the desired behavior?  I would think if
cookies were disabled, get cookies should just return a null cookie
parser.  I'm try to avoid a try catch block here.  There must be a more
elegant way.  Thoughts?

Mike

RE: DefaultCookieParser null pointer exception

Posted by mstanley <ms...@mitre.org>.
> if(data.getCookies() != null)
> 	get a specific cookie

This would be the expected behavior, but I think this is a bug.

> Does just call data.getCookies alone throw a npe?

Data.getCookies throws a null pointer exception.  I did a quick fix to
this by having code that looks like:

CookieParser cp = null
try
{
    cp = data.getCookies();
}
catch (NullPointerException npe)
{
   // handle no cookie support
}

if (cp != null)
{
   // handle cookie support
}

This obviously isn't a good programmatic approach.  I think that if
browsers don't support cookies data.getCookies() should return null
rather than throw an exception

Mike

Posted by Gareth Coltman <ga...@majorband.co.uk>.
Hmm. I seem to remember a similar problem, but I'm sure all we did was check
for null like:

if(data.getCookies() != null)
	get a specific cookie