Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by TJ Maciak <ma...@gvsu.edu> on 2011/01/18 22:47:36 UTC

configure says co apr - I suggest to change to use an apr tarball release

I downloaded svn 1.6.15 tarball and ran configure.  It suggested the following:

configure: Apache Portable Runtime (APR) library configuration
checking for APR... no
configure: WARNING: APR not found
The Apache Portable Runtime (APR) library cannot be found.
Please install APR on this system and supply the appropriate
--with-apr option to 'configure'

or

get it with SVN and put it in a subdirectory of this source:

   svn co \
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/branches/1.2.x \
    apr

Run that right here in the top level of the Subversion tree.
Afterwards, run apr/buildconf in that subdirectory and
then run configure again here.

Whichever of the above you do, you probably need to do
something similar for apr-util, either providing both
--with-apr and --with-apr-util to 'configure', or
getting both from SVN with:

   svn co \
    http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr-util/branches/1.2.x \
    apr-util

I did the svn co of both apr and apr-util but it caused much frustration when it couldnt find the Berkeley DB 4.8 tar ball that I compiled - even when doing ./buildconf or ./configure in the apr-util directory

In IRC #svn
<danielsh>just note that configure says 'checkout apr' and suggest to change it to 'use an apr tarball release'
<danielsh>feel free to say I +1'd that

Once I downloaded apr and apr-util tar ball from http://apr.apache.org/download.cgi and compiled them, I was able to get subversion to compile doing the following:

   1 Download apr from http://apr.apache.org/download.cgi
      1 decompress and cd into that directory
      1 ./configure --prefix=/Subversion/usr/apr1.4.2
      1 make
      1 make test
      1 make install

   1 Download apr-util from http://apr.apache.org/download.cgi
      1 decompress and cd into that directory
      1 ./configure --prefix=/Subversion/usr/apr-util1.3.10 --with-apr=/Subversion/usr/apr1.4.2/ --with-berkeley-db=/Subversion/usr/BerkeleyDB4.8.30/include:/Subversion/usr/BerkeleyDB4.8.30/lib
      1 make
      1 make test
      1 make install

Then I went into subversion source directory and compiled using:
 ./configure --prefix=/Subversion/usr/SVN1.6.15 --with-neon=/Subversion/usr/neon0.29.5/  --with-apr=/Subversion/usr/apr1.4.2/ --with-apr-util=/Subversion/usr/apr-util1.3.10

TJ
T.J. Maciak
Senior Programmer, Community Research Institute
Johnson Center for Philanthropy
Grand Valley State University
616-331-7029
www.cridata.org

Grand Valley State University is celebrating its 50th anniversary of Shaping Lives.

Re: configure says co apr - I suggest to change to use an apr tarball release

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 4:47 PM, TJ Maciak <ma...@gvsu.edu> wrote:

>  Then I went into subversion source directory and compiled using:
>
>  ./configure --prefix=/Subversion/usr/SVN1.6.15
> --with-neon=/Subversion/usr/neon0.29.5/
>  --with-apr=/Subversion/usr/apr1.4.2/
> --with-apr-util=/Subversion/usr/apr-util1.3.10
>
> TJ

If you're going to compile a third-party tool suite this way, it goes in
/opt, according to the FileSystem HIerarchy Starndard (
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/). Ignore this sort of standard at your own
risk.

In particular, stuffing these under "/Subversion/" will interfere with
SELinux configurations and potentially overwhelm a limited "/" partition.
Installing other packages this way  will compound the problem, as will mixed
case directory names.

Instead, consider using something like this:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/subersion/1.6.15/
--with-neon=/usr/local/neon/0.29.5 --with-apr=/usr/local/apr/1.4.2
--with-apr-util=/usr/local/apr-util/1.3.10

and compile your components appropriately.