Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Manuel Carrasco Moñino <ma...@apache.org> on 2014/07/14 18:29:46 UTC

server .war artefact

Hi all

Is there any reason for producing a .war file among the tar.gz and .zip in
the app/target folder?

- Manolo

Re: server .war artefact

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>.
On 15 Jul 2014 10:37, "Manuel Carrasco Moñino" <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> I think nowadays producing a war for james is more confusing than just
> having a .zip.
>
> I don't see any reason to run it in a war  since we don't  offer any web
> service so far, and normally a webserver is recommended not run without
> root permissions so it is difficult to listen to privileged ports.
>
> Could we remove that?

Still today many enterprises deploy java components in a web container
preferably.

A poll on the user list could be a good way to determine the actual benefit
of distributing the war, which by the way has never been contained in any
release, afaik.

i'm totally +/-0 on this topic.

Bernd

Re: server .war artefact