Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu> on 2004/11/15 18:25:35 UTC

AXIOM and Java, WS-RM, XBIS [Re: [Axis2] AXIOM goals

Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>"Aleksander Slominski" <as...@cs.indiana.edu> writes:
>

>>* AXIOM API makes possible to store Java objects convertible to XML
>>Infoset on demand [for serialization]
>>

>+1 .. but that's just a different builder for AXIOM - starts with a
>Java object instead of a stream. We'll need a builder from DOM too
>in the future.

i am not sure how XML Infoset API (which is AXIOM API) should work on
top of AXIOM built from Java objects?for example what is namespace
property of java object?

i think this point needs much more clarifications. i was thinking that
ability to store Java objects directly as parts of AXIOM is good for
storing references to binary data, doing partial data binding (like one
header transformed with data binding and stored into tree) and similar
operations.

>>* AXIOM API is easy to use and follow common XML APIs patterns (like
>>JDOM, XOM) but has also if SOAP specific features if needed
>>

>What's XOM? +1 for JDOM-like convenience.

another DOM-like API this one under LGPL and redesigned to be easy to
use: http://www.cafeconleche.org/XOM/

>>* AXIOM API is designed to minimize memory footprint, allows streaming
>>and avoids creating wrapper objects if not needed
>>

>API enables different implementations - some which optimize memory,
>some which optimize for speed. Sometimes these two objectives cannot
>be met at the same time obviously.

of course but API *should* not require anything that is leading to slow
implementations or huge memory usage - of course it is hard to achieve
good balance in API so it allows different kind of impls

>>* [optional] AXIOM impl that uses XBIS <http://xbis.sourceforge.net/>
>>for optimized transport of XML Infoset, especially useful for low memory
>>footprint and better performance between two WS nodes that uses XBIS
>>

>+1 but not only XBIS- there are several candidates available for
>alternate serializations and I'm very interested in enabling these.
>Hence my rabid focus on using tStAX for all input and output.

i think it can be good choice if we see good speedups when using it
between binary XML Infoset enabled WS nodes (XBIS)

>>* [optional] AXIOM impl that uses XBIS (or similar) to store XML events
>>for replay from memory (or file? db?),
>>

>Not optional .. have to be able to serialize the entire message from
>day one. Sandesha cannot work fully without this capability.

i looked on it for handling together with attachments but i agree there
is a separate case for WS-RM persistent message storage.

alek