Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com> on 2007/02/01 14:44:03 UTC

Checked out files don't preserve file date

Was it a design intent that when checking out files, the files get
changed to today's file date rather than the date that was on them
when they were checked in?

This creates large problems (basically, renders impossible for all
practical purposes) some other accounting things we are doing with these files.

Is there any way around it?

Re: Checked out files don't preserve file date

Posted by Lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
Eric wrote:

>Was it a design intent that when checking out files, the files get
>changed to today's file date rather than the date that was on them
>when they were checked in?

yes

>This creates large problems (basically, renders impossible for all
>practical purposes) some other accounting things we are doing with these files.
>
>Is there any way around it?

if you can live with the commit date, then you can set-up the client
in that way.

Lorenz

Re: Checked out files don't preserve file date

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 1, 2007, at 11:35, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Eric wrote:
>
>> At 10:18 AM 2/1/2007, Steve Bakke wrote:
>> <SB>>>>>Yes, this was intentional.  Subversion doesn't store the
>> local modification time upon checkin.  This has come up on the
>> list recently, and no there isn't any way around it.<<<<<
>> Good morning, Steve.
>> Do you know if CVS did it that way?
>
> CVS sets the timestamp to match the commit time, not the timestamp
> of the committed file.  But if you check the same thing out twice,
> the timestamps will match.

And since nobody has mentioned it in this thread, I'll mention it
now: you can configure Subversion to do the same thing (on checkout
or update, set the files' dates not to the current time but to the
commit time). Simply uncomment the line "use-commit-times = yes" in
the file ~/.subversion/config.

Re: Checked out files don't preserve file date

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Re: Checked out files don't preserve file date

Posted by Steve Bakke <st...@amd.com>.
Yes, this was intentional.  Subversion doesn't store the local modification
time upon checkin.  This has come up on the list recently, and no there
isn't any way around it.

In my opinion, this one should be high on the list of features to be
considered for 2.0

-Steve