Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ranajit Ghosh <ra...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/09 13:59:52 UTC

Getting error E205009 upon doing SVN copy using URL

Hi,

I'm writing about the below issue here after not getting any particular
response about the root cause of it on dev forum.

I'm trying to do a SVN copy, using URL, the contents from one directory to
another new directory within one repository with the following syntax:
svn copy <repo_root>/dir/subdir1  <repo_root>/dir/subdir2 -m "message text"

But I am getting the following error:
svn: E205009: Local, non-commit operations do not take a log message or
revision properties.

I couldn't understand the error message. It seems to be contradictory to
the functionality svn copy using url provides. The svn copy using url
apparently does a remote copy in the repository with a commit.

The interesting part is that if I omit the -m option, svn automatically
opens up the editor and waits for the log message. if I put the message
there and close the editor window, it completes the copy operation without
any error. It complains if the message text is supplied on the command line
with -m option.

Could you please shed some light on what the actual issue is? and what
would be the solution for this?

P.S: I'm using svn, version 1.8.10 (r1615264) on aix 7.1.

Thanks!
Ranajit

Re: Getting error E205009 upon doing SVN copy using URL

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Ranajit Ghosh wrote on Wed, 09 Jun 2021 17:26 +00:00:
> Hi..the structure of the urls for both src and dst are as follow:
>
> <Src>
> https://svn.example.com/repos-aci/XXX/xxx50/branches/xxx_5.8.46.0/xxx/config/epc/9.4
>
> <dst>
> https://svn.example.com/repos-aci/XXX/xxx50/branches/xxx_5.8.46.0/xxx/config/epc/9.5

The error message can only happen if the second URL does not contain the substring "://".

Cheers,

Daniel

Posted by Daniel Sahlberg <da...@gmail.com>.
Den ons 9 juni 2021 kl 20:40 skrev Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>:

> The only thing I can think of is to upgrade Subversion (on client
> side) and see what happens?  I'm using 1.14:
>
>   $ svn --version
>   svn, version 1.14.1 (r1886195)
>      compiled Feb 18 2021, 02:52:03 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
>   $

I tried the same steps as Karl with an older client and it works for me
too. My version:

D:\temp\test_1>svn --version
svn, version 1.8.14 (r1692801)
   compiled Aug  2 2015, 17:48:46 on x86-microsoft-windows

It is the TortoiseSVN command line tools, but I don't think that would
matter.

Kind regards,
Daniel Sahlberg

Re: Getting error E205009 upon doing SVN copy using URL

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
On 09 Jun 2021, Ranajit Ghosh wrote:
>Hi..the structure of the urls for both src and dst are as follow:
>
><Src> https://svn.example.com/repos-aci/XXX/xxx50/branches/
>xxx_5.8.46.0/xxx/config/epc/9.4
>
><dst> https://svn.example.com/repos-aci/XXX/xxx50/branches/
>xxx_5.8.46.0/xxx/config/epc/9.5

Hmm, that should work, then.  I did an experiment:

  $ svn info | grep -E "^URL:"
  $ svn mkdir foo
  A         foo
  $ svn ci -m "Create an empty directory for experimenting."
  Adding         foo
  Committing transaction...
  Committed revision 9851.
  $ svn ls -v
  https://svn.example.com/my-repository/trunk/scratch/foo
     9851 kfogel                Jun 09 13:32 ./
  $ svn cp -m "Copy foo to bar." \
      https://svn.example.com/my-repository/trunk/scratch/foo \
      https://svn.example.com/my-repository/trunk/scratch/bar
  Committing transaction...
  Committed revision 9852.
  $ svn ls -v
https://svn.red-bean.com/kfogel-private/trunk/scratch/bar
     9852 kfogel                Jun 09 13:33 ./
  $

No problems.  Well, okay, you had put your -m option at the end of
the command.  So I tried that too, and it worked fine:

  $ svn cp https://svn.example.com/my-repository/trunk/scratch/bar
  \
           https://svn.example.com/my-repository/trunk/scratch/baz
           \
        -m "Copy bar to baz."
  Committing transaction...
  Committed revision 9853.
  $
  $ svn ls -v
  https://svn.example.com/my-repository/trunk/scratch/baz
     9854 kfogel                Jun 09 13:36 ./
  $

Posted by Ranajit Ghosh <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.