Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Steffen <in...@apachelounge.com> on 2015/12/10 10:25:34 UTC

mod_http2 memory footprint

Running mod_ssl-only Apache  (no external party modules), which is in
front (reverse proxy) of a non-ssl Apache.

With mod-http2 the memory footprint varies greatly:

Without mod_http2 a steady ~40 MB.

With mod_http2 it starts with ~50MB and peaks to over ~300 MB with a
average of ~130 MB and slowly growing.

Measured with 2 minutes interval, so the peak could be much higher.

Attached the graph from today.
The dark line is the non-ssl Apache.
The dip is the switch from 2.4.18-dev-http2-Alpha to 2.4.18-vote.

Happens with 2.4.17 as well as 2.4.18.

Steffen

Re: mod_http2 memory footprint

Posted by Stefan Eissing <st...@greenbytes.de>.
The "slowly growing" part is certainly not good. For 2.4.18, my main concern was stability and some important new features. I had a look at memory consumption but could not find anything that explained the growth well. Definitely needs more attention in the future...