Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/11 13:06:12 UTC

DN API modifications

Hi,

I'm currently doing some modifications in the DN classes to keep the
code close to the LDAP API we are defining.

There are many places where we reference the JNDI Name interface,
because DN currently implements this interface.

I'm not sure this is anymore interesting to have such a relation between
JNDI and DN. I suggest to remove Name from all the DN and related classes.

wdyt ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: DN API modifications

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
On 3/11/10 1:11 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
>> I'm currently doing some modifications in the DN classes to keep the code
>> close to the LDAP API we are defining.
>>
>> There are many places where we reference the JNDI Name interface, because DN
>> currently implements this interface.
>>
>> I'm not sure this is anymore interesting to have such a relation between
>> JNDI and DN. I suggest to remove Name from all the DN and related classes.
>>
>> wdyt ?
>>
> +1, but may ask you to postpone this activity till we release 1.5.6, I
> ask cause I have many core-integ tests migrated to use client-api
> but not yet checked-in and this refactoring might not be uniform
> across the code.

I understand. Anyway, removing Name from our code means we also have to
change the Exceptions we are using, as the JNDI exceptions are using
Name internally. So let's postpone this modification for shared-1.0.0

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.nextury.com

Re: DN API modifications

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com>.
> I'm currently doing some modifications in the DN classes to keep the code
> close to the LDAP API we are defining.
>
> There are many places where we reference the JNDI Name interface, because DN
> currently implements this interface.
>
> I'm not sure this is anymore interesting to have such a relation between
> JNDI and DN. I suggest to remove Name from all the DN and related classes.
>
> wdyt ?

+1, but may ask you to postpone this activity till we release 1.5.6, I
ask cause I have many core-integ tests migrated to use client-api
but not yet checked-in and this refactoring might not be uniform
across the code.

Kiran Ayyagari