Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/09/27 19:08:43 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Deprecate and eventually remove the o.a.c.servlet4preview package in 8.5.x

All,

I'd like to propose removing this for the following reasons:

1. Now the Servlet 4.0 spec is final, users can use Tomcat 9 for Servlet
4.0 features.

2. The preview is not complete and may be out of date in places.

3. I'm not aware of any user feedback so usage seems to be very low.

My proposal is to deprecate it now with the intention to remove it after
a year.

As an alternative is deprecate it now with the intention to remove it 1
year after the first stable 9.0.x release.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

Mark

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deprecate and eventually remove the o.a.c.servlet4preview package in 8.5.x

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 27/09/17 20:45, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Am 27.09.2017 um 21:08 schrieb Mark Thomas:
>> All,
>>
>> I'd like to propose removing this for the following reasons:
>>
>> 1. Now the Servlet 4.0 spec is final, users can use Tomcat 9 for Servlet
>> 4.0 features.
>>
>> 2. The preview is not complete and may be out of date in places.
>>
>> 3. I'm not aware of any user feedback so usage seems to be very low.
>>
>> My proposal is to deprecate it now with the intention to remove it after
>> a year.
>>
>> As an alternative is deprecate it now with the intention to remove it 1
>> year after the first stable 9.0.x release.
>>
>> Thoughts? Comments? Questions?
>
> I'm OK either way, just mentioning, that in our examples we have an
> HTTP/2 server push example that AFAIK uses o.a.c.servlet4preview. So i
> wonder whether making use of HTTP/2 support in 8.5 profits much of the
> package or not and if so, whether there's another way to keep those parts.

I'm pretty sure we could cast to an internal class to keep that working
- and I think that we should do that.

The preview API was intended as a convenience to ease migration since
moving to 9.0.x would just require an import change.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 27.09.2017 um 21:08 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> All,
>
> I'd like to propose removing this for the following reasons:
>
> 1. Now the Servlet 4.0 spec is final, users can use Tomcat 9 for Servlet
> 4.0 features.
>
> 2. The preview is not complete and may be out of date in places.
>
> 3. I'm not aware of any user feedback so usage seems to be very low.
>
> My proposal is to deprecate it now with the intention to remove it after
> a year.
>
> As an alternative is deprecate it now with the intention to remove it 1
> year after the first stable 9.0.x release.
>
> Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

I'm OK either way, just mentioning, that in our examples we have an
HTTP/2 server push example that AFAIK uses o.a.c.servlet4preview. So i
wonder whether making use of HTTP/2 support in 8.5 profits much of the
package or not and if so, whether there's another way to keep those parts.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [PROPOSAL] Deprecate and eventually remove the o.a.c.servlet4preview package in 8.5.x

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> I'd like to propose removing this for the following reasons:
>
> 1. Now the Servlet 4.0 spec is final, users can use Tomcat 9 for Servlet
> 4.0 features.
>
> 2. The preview is not complete and may be out of date in places.
>
> 3. I'm not aware of any user feedback so usage seems to be very low.
>
> My proposal is to deprecate it now with the intention to remove it after
> a year.

+1, I like that plan especially if it's incomplete/outdated.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 28/09/17 06:56, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Huxing Zhang <
> huxing.zhx@alibaba-inc.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> +1 to remove the preview packages.

> >> Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
> >> 2017 Sep 28 (Thu) 03:08
> >> Tomcat Developers List <de...@tomcat.apache.org>
> >> [PROPOSAL] Deprecate and eventually remove the o.a.c.servlet4preview
> >> package in 8.5.x
> >>

> >> All,
> >>
> >> I'd like to propose removing this for the following reasons:
> >>
> >> 1. Now the Servlet 4.0 spec is final, users can use Tomcat 9 for Servlet
> >> 4.0 features.
> >>
> >> 2. The preview is not complete and may be out of date in places.
> >>
> >> 3. I'm not aware of any user feedback so usage seems to be very low.
> >>
> >> My proposal is to deprecate it now with the intention to remove it after
> >> a year.
> >>
> >> As an alternative is deprecate it now with the intention to remove it 1
> >> year after the first stable 9.0.x release.
> >>
> >> Thoughts? Comments? Questions?
> >>

> > We use the preview in Apache Wicket:
> > https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/77d8bf32d2063ac0174fc383da81ac
> 2d6bcc482b/wicket-experimental/wicket-http2/wicket-http2-tomcat/src/main/
> java/org/apache/wicket/http2/markup/head/Tomcat85PushBuilder.java#L40
> >
> > But we can rework it!
>
> Great to know that someone is using it.
>
> It looks like reworking that could be as simple as switching to the
> concrete implementation (ApplicationPushBuilder) rather than the preview
> interface.

Wicket 8.0.0-M8 will use the ApplicationPushBuilder directly!

https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=wicket.git;a=commitdiff;h=35a7d6d5;hp=77d8bf32d2063ac0174fc383da81ac2d6bcc482b

Regards,
Martin

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 9:08 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> I'd like to propose removing this for the following reasons:
>
> 1. Now the Servlet 4.0 spec is final, users can use Tomcat 9 for Servlet
> 4.0 features.
>
> 2. The preview is not complete and may be out of date in places.
>
> 3. I'm not aware of any user feedback so usage seems to be very low.
>
> My proposal is to deprecate it now with the intention to remove it after
> a year.
>
> As an alternative is deprecate it now with the intention to remove it 1
> year after the first stable 9.0.x release.
>
> Thoughts? Comments? Questions?

+1 for deprcating immediately, no idea when an actual removal could occur.
Possibly it's "never" though.

Rémy