Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Coolyogs <co...@coolgoose.com> on 2003/09/16 12:57:44 UTC

footer problem

Hi All
I have a problem with footer.
I am inserting footer in tiles-def

I want to keep the footer in absolute position when there is no data
in the page
and when there is some data exceeds the absolute position the the
footer should float.

please help me....

left:20 " >

in the above case it will be overlapped if contents exceeds absolute
position

[ot] dhtml question was - Re: footer problem

Posted by Mark Lowe <ma...@talk21.com>.
Last time i messed with dhtml, using with:100% didn't work on
everything. and inline css was also a bit ropey..

You'll need to detect screen width and height, and dynamically set the
width, position and height.

This has nothing to do with tiles or struts really, so either you
thought you'd get lucky on this list or you have trouble separating the
concepts of dhtml and server side stuff.

Here are some clues..

..
footer {
	position:absolute;
	left:0px;
	top:0px;
..
}
..
//dom supporting browsers
document.getElementById("footer")
//ns4 : i wouldn't bother
document.layers['footer']
//ie4
document.all['footer']
..
function positionFooter() {
	footer = ..; //depends on browser
	winWidth = window.width ; //probably wrong i dont recall which one
does what
	winHeight = .. // likewise
	height = footer.style.height;
	width = winWidth;
	left = "0";
	top = winHeight - height;
}
..
To be honest , judging by your question I'd stay well away. DHTML is a
guaranteed way of giving you a very long headache. And writing DHTML
ends up being for other frontend developers rather than end users.
DHTML is good but only when you know the stuff inside out and have
resource to dedicate to this separate line of development. If your site
works 'as' is you can layer the dhtml on by not using inline styles,
and allowing no js/css browsers to fail gracefully.

Cheers Mark