Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Charles E. Doucette" <cd...@med-learn.com> on 2003/12/04 15:03:22 UTC

revision history (log messages) for moved files/directories

I'm using TortoiseSVN 0.21 and Subversion 0.32.1 on Win2K.

I had a subproject called ExceptionHandler which was used by one project
and is now used by multiple projects.

Before I started using it in multiple projects, I moved it into a common
location.

Since then, I made a few more changes.

When I use TortoiseSVN to see the revisions of this file,
it only shows the few changes I made in the common location.

When I click the button to get all of the log file entries, I get an SVN
error.

REPORT request failed on
'/repos/!svn/bc/383/trunk/ABFP/ExceptionHandler/LogException.cs'
'/repos/!svn/bc/383/trunk/ABFP/ExceptionHandler/LogException.cs' path not
found.

Indeed, this was moved. The question is how to easily see all the log file
messages
for this file - even though it was moved. For now, must I specifically
request
the log file messages through the command line version with explicit
revision
numbers in the file's old location?

At the point Subversion maintains the history from files that you
copied/moved,
it would be nice to make it easy to see/use that information. I assume
this is a  post-1.0 feature request?

Thanks,
Chuck

Re: revision history (log messages) for moved files/directories

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 07:03, Charles E. Doucette wrote:

> At the point Subversion maintains the history from files that you
> copied/moved,
> it would be nice to make it easy to see/use that information. I assume
> this is a  post-1.0 feature request?

'svn diff -rX:Y URL' does not follow copy history, yet.  It's probably a
post-1.0 feature.  For now, you need to explicitly compare the 'old
path' against the 'new path', by running 'svn log' to discover the old
and new paths:

   svn diff URL1@X URL2@Y

I don't know how to make TortoiseSVN do the equivalent.  This isn't a
Tortoise users list anyway.  :-)