Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Guillaume Laurès <la...@lra.fr> on 2001/03/13 12:37:18 UTC

table layout problem with lots of blocks

Hello,

I'm sorry to disturb you with user issues, but I have run a strange
problem I can't resolve by myself, maybe you would have informations
that would help me.

We develop an xml app here, with fop used as a servlet to render pdf
files from .fo files made with xalan from xml docs and xsl stylesheets.
It's very nice to see the mutli-pages pdf  files embedded into the
browser !

So we have:
xml docs -> xalanj servlet -> html formulars for editing from a web
client (intranet use)
xml docs -> xalanj servlet -> html files for previsualisation on a web
client, if ok then:
xml docs -> xalanj command line -> local web site image -> ftp mirroring
script on the real site (http://www.lra.fr)
xml docs -> xalanj command line -> temporary .fo file -> fop servlet ->
pdf file for previsualisation on a pdf-enabled web client (with acrobat
plug-in basically)

If anybody needs help on how to setup this I can help...

My problem is that the pdf document has among elements a rather long
table (approx half an a4 sheet), with lots of blocks in it (may be this
is the wrong way to do it ?) and fop renders it very badly under certain
circumstances.
I don't know to what the problem (block numbers, height required for
displaying all of them...) is related but when it has a specific number
of lines in one of the columns, fop renders it erratically, and takes
another sheet when obviously it's not required.
Examples:
what I'd like it to do, but with more elements:
http://www.lra.fr/fo-tests/om23-good.pdf
what it does with just a line more in the left column:
http://www.lra.fr/fo-tests/om23-bad.pdf
the source .fo file: http://www.lra.fr/fo-tests/om23.fo
Just remove the block with the "REMOVE THIS BLOCK" comment and you'll
get the good one.

I don't know if it's related to my setup (in which case it would work
for you) or to the source .fo or to a potential bug in fop or
whatever... ,

Thanks for any help.

Guillaume Laures
Responsable systemes et Techniques - EBI
Tel: 01 46 29 68 24