Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com> on 2004/02/20 16:29:50 UTC

w2k access is denied still here

this error is also still here for directories (in 0.37). just for a note:
- there is no virus-scanner active
- there is no load
- the files/directories (last times error was delete of msblabla60.dll)
  can be deleted with explorer without problems (are not used by operating system).
- in directory case:
  * after this error the directory to be deleted is still here.
  * we noticed the error only on removing the ".svn" directory
  * svn cleanup does not remove it either, i.e.
    the change is done just in the metadata

example:
$ svn up
svn: In directory 'proj/src/com/asd'
svn: Error processing command 'delete-entry' in 'proj/src/com/asd'
svn: Can't remove 'proj/src/com/asd/ev/.svn': Access is denied.

$ svn cleanup

$ svn up
At revision 16257.

$ rm -r proj/src/com/asd/ev
rm: directory `proj/src/com/asd/ev/.svn' is write protected; descend into it anyway? y

$ rm -rf proj/src/com/asd/ev

$ svn up
At revision 16257.

Re: w2k access is denied still here

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
solo turn wrote:

> example:
> $ svn up
> svn: In directory 'proj/src/com/asd'
> svn: Error processing command 'delete-entry' in 'proj/src/com/asd'
> svn: Can't remove 'proj/src/com/asd/ev/.svn': Access is denied.
>
> $ svn cleanup
>
> $ svn up
> At revision 16257.
>
> $ rm -r proj/src/com/asd/ev
> rm: directory `proj/src/com/asd/ev/.svn' is write protected; descend into it anyway? y
>
> $ rm -rf proj/src/com/asd/ev
>
> $ svn up
> At revision 16257.

Those examples are not using the Win32 CMD shell.  What are you really using:
Cygwin or some other replacement shell?

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: w2k access is denied still here

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
solo turn <so...@yahoo.com> writes:

> this error is also still here for directories (in 0.37).

I find it odd that nobody else reports this bug.  Why aren't other
Windows users complaining about this?  Why is your system different?

Anyway, here's the retry code

#define WIN32_RETRY_LOOP(err, expr)                                        \
  do                                                                       \
  {                                                                        \
    int retries = 0;                                                       \
    int sleep_count = 1000;                                                \
                                                                           \
    for ( retries = 0;                                                     \
          APR_TO_OS_ERROR (err) == ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED && retries < 100;   \
          ++retries )                                                      \
    {                                                                      \
      apr_sleep (sleep_count);                                             \
      if (sleep_count < 128000)                                            \
        sleep_count *= 2;                                                  \
      err = expr;                                                          \
    }                                                                      \
  } while (0)

so that's 100 attempts to delete the directory, over a period of about
13 seconds, and all of them returned access is denied.  You could try
changing the 100 or the 128000 and see if other numbers work better.

> $ svn up
> svn: In directory 'proj/src/com/asd'
> svn: Error processing command 'delete-entry' in 'proj/src/com/asd'
> svn: Can't remove 'proj/src/com/asd/ev/.svn': Access is denied.
>
> $ svn cleanup
>
> $ svn up

Huh?  The cleanup worked?  That doesn't look right.  If I cause
svn_io_dir_remove to return an error I get

$ svn up wc
svn: In directory 'wc/foo'
svn: Error processing command 'delete-entry' in 'wc/foo'
svn: fake access is denied
$ svn st wc
! L    wc
?      wc/foo/bar
! L    wc/foo
$ svn cleanup wc
svn: In directory 'wc/foo'
svn: Error processing command 'delete-entry' in 'wc/foo'
svn: Working copy 'wc/foo/bar' not locked
$ svn st wc
! L    wc
?      wc/foo/bar
! L    wc/foo