Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> on 2005/06/07 23:22:27 UTC

Read-only checkouts/updates

I read the thread on read-only checkouts, and it seems to have
wandered from what the original poster asked for. I am in the same
boat as the original poster:

http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=users&msgNo=28715

> Is there a method for obtaining a module that creates a read-only copy
> of the module? This way, if a developer wants to edit the file,
> they can
> then specifically checkout the file for editing. This will prevent
> accidental editing of files that a developer may not need to edit.
> Thanks,

I need for my working copy to be read-only. I don't want to lock
files for exclusive checkout, and I'm happy to use other tools to
make the file writable when I choose to edit it (my IDE asks me if I
want to make a file writable as soon as I try to type in it).

It's too easy to unwittingly modify a file otherwise. And because SVN
doesn't support partial checkins, it's a HUGE pain to determine that
a file should not be checked in.

This feature can be entirely client-side, and turned off by default,
but even crummy CVS allows this functionality.

Is this being considered for short-term implementation, and if not,
why not? If it's a reasonable request, should I add an Issue for it?

TIA

--
Rick

Re: Read-only checkouts/updates

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Ron Gilbert wrote:

> I have a very similar problem.  I have a lot of non-technical
> people that need read-only access to the files, and, yes, they
> modify them all the time when they shouldn't be.  Having them come
> down as read-only would solve about 99% of that problem.

I'm trying to understand the use-case here, because it seems new and
strange to me.

You guys are telling me that:

* you have a bunch of non-technical users

* they all need private working copies of the data

* they all need commit privileges

* they accidentally change lots of files, and then don't know which
ones to commit

  ?

How do files get accidentally changed?

Re: Read-only checkouts/updates

Posted by Ron Gilbert <li...@rzweb.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> On Jun 7, 2005, at 4:22 PM, Rick Mann wrote:
>>
>> Is this being considered for short-term implementation, and if not,
>> why not? If it's a reasonable request, should I add an Issue for it?
>
> It's not being considered for short-term implementation, because it's
> just not our UI model.  Subversion, like CVS, is a concurrent system
> based on copy-modify-merge.  The UI you're describing sounds
> something very much like SourceSafe or PerForce, where everything is
> read-only by default, and you have to 'declare' intent to edit
> somehow.  That UI contradicts the design philosophy of Subversion.
>
> Do you really have problems "accidentally" modifying files?  I've not
> heard of such a thing before.

I have a very similar problem.  I have a lot of non-technical people that need read-only access to the files, and, yes, they modify them all the time when they shouldn't be.  Having them come down as read-only would solve about 99% of that problem.

Ron

Re: Read-only checkouts/updates

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.