Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Eduardo Ferreira <ea...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/17 22:56:42 UTC

Table Lock Manager: ZooKeeper cluster

Hi there,

I read on the Hive installation documentation that we need to have a
ZooKeeper cluster setup to support Table Lock Manager (Cloudera docs link
below).

As we have HBase with a ZooKeeper cluster already, my question is if we can
use the same ZK cluster for Hive.
Is that recommended?
What kind of load and constrains would this put on the HBase ZK cluster?

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/cdh_ig_hiveserver2_configure.html

Thanks in advance.
Eduardo.

Re: Table Lock Manager: ZooKeeper cluster

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.
I'm not a zookeeper expert, but zookeeper is supposed to be characteristics
of light-weight, high performance, and fast response. Unless you zookeeper
is already overloaded, I don't see why you would need a separate zookeeper
cluster just for Hive.

There are a few zookeeper usages in Hive, the additional stress on
zookeeper is determined by the load on your HS2. As most of the time user
sessions are waiting on query execution, I don't expect the additional
stress on your zookeeper will be significant.

You do need to test it out before putting it in production as a general
practice.